Chapter 1 - Will

Chapter 1 – Will

When I was younger, I hated everything having to do with change. I hated changing crayons to make sure the kids all got a chance with different colors. I hated having to change seats because the teacher thought that would help the problem I had where I talked to my friends too much. It didn't, because I was friendly and could make friends with just about anyone so no matter who the teacher would move me next to, I could befriend them.

I hated changing the foods I ate when I was a kid because my mom thought I was eating too unhealthy. I hated changing routine when my mom made me stop sleeping with a night light when I was nine. I hated getting used to one parent when my dad died. I hated anything having to do with change.

As I got older, I still hated change but in different ways. I hated sitting with new friends at the lunch table because one liked the same girl I liked. I hated having to compete for a girls attention because every girl thought that I wanted to get them in bed. I had no clue why girls and guys couldn't be friends without it being weird.

And I hated moving. I had only had to move one other time in my life and that was into a smaller house when my dad died because my mom couldn't afford the bills by herself. It was in the same city and state and there wasn't much change to get used to but I still hated it. And now we had moved again, into a new city and a new state and a whole new region of the United States.

My alarm drew me out of my peaceful sleep, and I groaned softly. I peeked an eye open to stare at the screen of my Pixel 2, hitting the snooze button and closing my eyes again. Now, where was I.

"William!" I heard a shrill voice pierce through the lull of sleep that was coming back on.

I groaned, louder this time. "Five more minutes, Mom!"

"No, William! You're going to be late for your first day at your new school!"

"What a shame," I mumbled to myself moodily before sitting up and bed and pushing my covers off of me slightly.

"What was that?"

"I'm up," I corrected, louder this time, standing up from bed and disconnecting my phone from my charger. I looked out the window of my new bedroom, sighing thoughtfully. I wasn't ready to move to Chicago. The vacation here last summer had been more than enough to appease any curiosity I had of this city. It had good and bad things about it, but I was more than comfortable back home in Tennessee where all my friends were.

I picked out a pair of dark blue jeans and a graphic t-shirt – my staple, before throwing on a pair of socks and my blue sneakers. I grabbed my backpack that was empty and swung it over my shoulder, heading for my door. I caught a glimpse of my reflection in my dresser mirror and ran a hand through my mop of brown hair, trying to make it look like I put effort into it. I just didn't have the will today.

I jogged down the stairs, taking them two at a time until I got to the kitchen. Mom was sitting at the table in business attire; a black and white blouse and black pencil skirt. Her blonde hair was in a neat, tight bun atop her head and her glasses were perched on her nose as she studied what I presumed to be notes from work.