Chapter 23 - Will

Chapter 23 - Will

    I couldn't get Analise to tell me why she was so shooken up yesterday.

Try as I might, I couldn't get any information about it out of her; and boy did I try. I knew she was opening up to me more, that much was obvious, but still there was a sizable wall she had up. As much as I wanted to climb that wall - knock into it, jump over it, crash into it; I couldn't. It wasn't my place to press for information, as much as I wanted to, so after a few futile attempts I gave up.

For now.

I was currently planning the best surprise for Annie; it had taken me a while to figure out what exactly I would do, but I knew the perfect thing now. I wanted to ask her out on a date, that much was clear, but the fear of rejection kept me from asking.

She didn't like me like that.

Before my dad passed, he'd always say, "Never let the fear of striking out keep you from playing the game." It was a famous quote, not his own, but I took it too heart in every aspect. But when it came to Analise, there was something stopping me from listening to my dad's words on repeat in my mind. She was such a good friend; probably the closest I'd had, and I didn't want to ruin that by asking her on a date.

I would stop being a chicken eventually and ask, but not now. I had the date planned for when I did ask, and felt giddy thinking about it; if she said yes, she would be floored. I knew she wasn't the normal date type of girl, judging by what she did in her free time; she was unique. So I planned a date Analise could enjoy - not the usual dining and dancing that most people probably would. Most, at a glance, may not even consider it a date; but I knew Analise would.

I knew my dad would be disappointed in me for not going after what I want. He always told me growing up to not be scared of rejection, and that if you never try, you'll never know. And usually, I listened to that pretty well and it worked out for me. But for once in my life, the mere thought of a person sent my chest off like a bull in a China shop.

Analise, of course, was that person.

She was so beautiful, and she didn't even realize it. Her hair fell in natural brown curls that were so soft - not that I'd sat and ran my fingers through it, but when hugging her I felt how soft it was. She smelled so sweet, fruity and natural, probably from her shampoo since she didn't seem like the perfume type. Her brown eyes - which she thought were boring, held more emotion than I'd ever seen in my life. But she was guarded, rightfully so since the people she went to school with all her life were jerks - but most of her walls came down for me, and that was a good feeling.

Analise was approaching me, grabbing my shoulder and shaking it lightly. "Rando?"

And that dang nickname. That nickname would be the death of me. It wasn't even endearing, and normally it would put me off but I knew coming from her it was endearing. That's just how Analise was; she wasn't the romance type, or the pet name type, but nicknames were here thing. I'd come to know that and it made the nickname that much more important, to the point where when she didn't call me it, I felt empty and I missed it.