Chapter 6 - Analise

Chapter 6 – Analise

    Sleep was one of the seven wonders of the world, it seemed. You either got too much of it, making yourself even more drowsy, or you didn't get enough and weren't yourself. It seemed like there was no in between when it came to sleeping. These days it felt like I got none.

I tossed and turned in bed, the sound of gunshots ringing through the night outside my house. Even though it was something I'd grown accustomed to, and I knew they weren't aimed for me, it still made me cringe every time. There was always the chance of a stray bullet piercing through my window, or even someone driving by deciding to be an idiot and shoot into random houses.

I hated living in the worst part of town because it left little to the imagination as far as what went on in this stupid city. And I wasn't scared – I had far surpassed any ability to be scared of almost anything – but it still wasn't something I wanted to deal with. I wasn't necessarily scared to die, but I wasn't ready yet either. There were things I still hadn't done.

There was a pause, and I had a small sliver of hope that they were done shooting each other for the night so I could get some sleep. After a couple minutes of nothing, I started to drift off before hearing yet another round of too-close-for-comfort gunshots.

"For fucks sake," I mumbled almost inaudibly, slipping off of my small twin bed and keeping low as I walked out of my room. Once I was in the hallway, I headed towards the kitchen, in search of something I didn't even know yet. I opened the refrigerator, peering in. My eyes scanned the almost barren shelves before sighing and shutting it again. I looked around a couple seconds, before reopening the door again.

"It's not gonna change, Lise," my big brother, Andrew's voice wafted into the kitchen as he walked in from the living room. He kicked his boots off, dropping his black duffel bag and heading towards the island.

"What?" I asked, raising a brow at him.

"Just because you look in it two seconds later doesn't mean food's going to magically appear in it. I'm working on it, I'll get groceries soon. I promise."

He placed a kiss on top of my head as I sighed, resting it on his shoulder. "Who's shooting this time?"

Drew sighed, shrugging out of his jacket and placing it on one of the chairs. "No idea this time. I just got home, didn't see anyone so I'm assuming it's in someone's house or in the alley."

"Not that they'd shoot you anyway," I mumbled to myself thoughtfully.

"Depends who's got the gun," he chuckled, running a hand through his tousled brown hair. My brother was attractive, mirroring me in looks – brown hair and brown eyes. He had muscles that protruded from the sleeves of his t-shirts and he always had grease stains from one of his jobs as a mechanic. Sleeves of tattoos covered his arms, and he had more that I knew about covered by his shirt. When I was younger, girls always tried to use me, pretending to be my friend to get to my brother. That was before I became smart about not letting people in.