Chapter 29 - Analise

    The day went by without a hitch, aside from curious onlookers. Tommy and the rest of them left us alone for the most part, and soon enough it was lunch time. When lunch time rolled around, Will pulled me into an empty classroom and shut the door. My grumbling stomach protested loudly, to which Will responded by offering me a sandwich. I wolfed it down almost immediately after offering him my thanks. When he clicked the lock, I eyed him curiously.

Noting the look on my face, he chuckled. "It's not like that, Annie. I have something to give you."

I raised an eyebrow. "You do?"

He nodded, setting his backpack on one of the desks. He ruffled through it, the only sound in the room being the ticking analog clock and the shuffling of papers as Will went through them. An occasional grumble sounded from Will every so often as he shifted through each piece of paper, his eyebrows furrowing adorably.

"Here it is!" He proclaimed after checking the front pocket of his bag. He rubbed the back of his head sheepishly. "Sorry, I forgot I put it there for safe keeping."

I couldn't help the laugh that bubbled out of me. "You put it in a safe spot, so you wouldn't lose it, and you lost it anyway?"

Will pointed a glare at me but his grin proved his deception. He was laughing at himself on the inside, and his stare did nothing to sober my laughs. After a couple seconds, I wiped an escaped tear and nodded. "Alright, sorry. Continue."

Will turned shy all the sudden and I had to hold back my sound of surprise. Since I'd met Will a month and a half ago - or, reconnected with Will, I suppose - I'd never really seen him shy. He'd always been so sure of himself and every move he made seemed calculated and planned out. Will, although at times impulsive, was almost never shy. He was always outgoing and persistent and rather brazen, if you ask me. So the sudden shyness was, although cute, really unnerving.

"I- Uh, well I-" Will paused, shaking his head and knotting his hands together anxiously. "You remember, a little while back when I was asking you questions and you asked if I was studying you because I was writing stuff down?"

I thought back. We'd known each other a month and a half, so it obviously couldn't have been that long ago but I often struggled to remember what I had for dinner the previous night. Still, I racked my brain for any memory of him writing things down. Then the flashback hit me, it was one of the first times we really opened up to each other and he told me about his dad, and I told him the short version of what happened to my parents.

"What's your favorite color?"

"Red," I answered amusedly, raising an eyebrow in Will's direction. "Please tell me why on earth you're asking me these stupid questions?"

"Just answer them," Will answered with an eye roll, writing something down in a notebook.