Chapter 14 - Analise

    "Hurry up. Go faster!"

 I inwardly groaned, running faster, pushing my feet as hard as they could go. Will was helping me push myself, though he thought it was so I could try out for track. I was actually trying to build up my stigma for when the time came I had to run from something in the gang.

I wiped the beads of sweat off my forehead, cursing myself for being so athletically challenged. I was skinny, but I never did any running or anything of the sort. Usually, I'd say if I was running, you better run too because something was chasing me. And something was this time, my friend Will, but it wasn't a cause for concern. I knew I could trust Will.

I came through a clearing of trees I recognized instantly, relishing in the familiarity of it. We were currently running towards the lake Drew and I always went to as kids. It was the one thing our family could agree on doing together before they died.

We came to the crystal clear blue lake and instead of stopping I stripped off my shirt and t-shirt and jumped in. Will soon followed, his laughter filling the silence. When I jumped in I went underwater and the coldness enveloped me like a blanket. It was a shock, but I welcomed it after the hour I'd been running.

"Annie," Will mumbled, panting slightly. "You're doing better."

I smiled to myself. "Thanks Rando."

"Tell me again why you want to try out for track?"

I avoided his eyes and brushed it off. "Just want to. Don't bug me about it."

"I'm not," he told me sincerely, ducking under the water again. I felt my leg being pulled and struggled against it until I realized it was Will. He pulled me underwater with him and I opened my eyes, ignoring the stinging. I looked at Will and he looked back at me, smirking to himself. I pushed his shoulder before a laugh escaped and I swallowed water. I resurfaced coughing and laughing.

A splash fight ensued, and I was definitely winning, until he cheated and grabbed me around the waist and dunked me again. Once I came back up spluttering we just kept laughing - about my misfortune or his cheating abilities, I wasn't sure.

Once our laughter died down, we realized how close we were. I stared into his baby blue's, unmoving, not blinking. He stared right back at me, his breathing labored. I saw his eyes drift to my lips, and I subconsciously did the same thing.

"You're so beautiful..." Will whispered to himself, brushing a piece of wet hair off my forehead. I shivered at his touch.

"Will, I-"

"I know, not the relationship type, right?"

I nodded to myself sadly, looking down at the water before meeting his gaze again. "I'm sorry."