Chapter 16 - Analise

    After our water tower incident, Drew hadn't flown off the handle like I thought he would. He looked stressed and tired as he told me to try not to do things that would get me arrested. Those words played in my mind the next day when I showed up to do more work for the gang. It had been a couple days and I was putting off the inevitable, scared as to what we would do next.

I walked into the fake Mexican restaurant, heading towards the back where I knew the guys were. The leaders - besides Drew - were here and had big news. Thankfully Drew had been taking time off as of late or he would have already known I was in it. I went and took a seat beside Quincy against the wall, waiting for the boss to start talking. It seemed everyone but Drew was here.

"We've got a big job coming up guys," Paul, our leader, started. "As I'm sure you've noticed by now, those Northside idiots are coming into our territory in all directions. We're going to put a stop to it."

"How?" Tucker piped, crossing his arms.

"Going after Nev's sister, Cara."

A collective gasp was heard around the room. 

"Not to kill her. Hold onto her long enough to shake them up a bit."

Nev was second in command to Buck, their new leader, and the person he most protected in the world was his sister. She was in her late twenties and in the gang herself, but she didn't really bother us. But, if they went after his sister, then they would retaliate and Drew was second in command for our gang...

"They'll go after Ana," Quincy sounded apprehensive. "They'll kill her. They're ruthless."

My eye's met Paul's and I gulped. Mine widened slightly. He shook his head, breaking our silent conversation and swept his gaze around the room. "Andy knows what's going down. He's gonna have his eyes on Ana at all times, and you, Tuck, and Kevin live in her neighborhood. They'd be hard pressed to attempt it."

We all started nodding before Paul continued. "That said, I want all eyes on Analise. That goes for all of you," he stressed, waving his hand noncommittally. "You see her in McDonald's? Keep eyes on her til she leaves. You see her in Walmart? Follow her two aisles over. I don't care what it takes."

I had to hold back my sigh in annoyance. I appreciated the protection, but I already felt suffocated and it hadn't even started. Plus I didn't want to be followed everywhere I went, that would get creepy and awkward. "I have objections."

"Which are?"

"School is off limits and I don't want to be followed. See me in public, sure, discreetly watch out, but don't follow me. I can handle myself too."

Paul nodded. "Y'all hear that?" There were murmurs of agreement around the room. "Good. And in case anyone needs a reminder, Andy does not find out she's with us. We're purposely keeping him away from knowing for his own good."