Epilogue - Will

Epilogue - Will

*Six months later*

    "William!"

    I groaned, glancing around the football field for my mom. I saw her clutching the paper program to her chest as she ran towards me, her hair flowing in the wind behind her. She was dressed in her normal blouse and pencil skirt combo, having just come from work, but surprisingly she made it on time. My mom grinned, wrapping her arms around me before pulling away to look at me proudly. "I'm so proud of you, William."

"Thanks ma," I mumbled, plastering on a smile for her and fixing my cap, which she'd managed to make fall slightly to the left. I made sure it was sitting straight up before excusing myself to my seat on the makeshift stage they'd set up in the middle of the field for today. I took my seat behind the principal, looking to my right to see Toby grinning at me. The two of us had been chosen as valedictorian and salutatorian respectively, and there were more than a few angry peers that the new kid had beat them out for the spot.

"You nervous?" Toby mumbled to me, sweeping his gaze over the crowd. Our fellow students hadn't walked out yet; the only reason Toby and I were allowed out was because we were to be seated behind the principal.

"Welcome to the Harrison Park High School graduation for 2020!" The principal announced when the crowd found their seats. The band started playing Pomp and Curcumstance which was our queue to stand up for the our approaching peers. We stood up as we were taught, our hands behind our backs to watch as the students filed to their alphabetically assigned seats in an orderly line. Mallory was the first person to come into our view, throwing a wide smile and a blown kiss Toby's way before standing in front of her seat. Toby pretended to catch it, chuckling quietly to himself and I couldn't help but smile.

After what went down at Ashlynn's house, Toby and Mallory's relationship only strengthened. Mallory had to go to therapy for a little bit because of some PTSD issues from the whole event but he decided to go with her to every appointment and helped her overcome the fears that came with it. They had been together a little over seven months by now and were going strong. Toby and Mallory had decided to go to college together all the way in Florida; Toby for psychology and Mallory for nursing.

The next person to catch my eye was Ashlynn, staring straight at the ground as she walked. She was so focused on the plush green grass of the football field she forgot to look up to find her chair and tripped over the feet of the person assigned to sit next to her. She went bright red, muttering something to them before standing in front of her seat.

After what went down, Ashlynn was arrested but let go. Because we left the details about the gangs out, there wasn't enough proof to charge her with anything so she got let go. She sure learned her lesson, though, because soon miss popular Ashlynn was the social outcast with zero friends. After word got out about what happened, no one wanted to be her friend; she officially finished the last six months of school alone, which was just what she deserved. From what I heard, Ashlynn was taking a year off to try and become an actress in Hollywood. I wasn't sure how that would pan out for her, and I can't say if she made it I'd ever watch her work.