Chapter 10 - Analise

Chapter 10 – Analise

    I saw my breath in the chilly Chicago air and I watched it float away. I sometimes wished I could float away, just like that, but I wasn't able to as easily as breath was. I took a hit of my cigarette, blowing the smoke out and watching it mingle with my breath in the cold air. I couldn't tell which was which. It reminded me a lot of people, and how sometimes you couldn't tell how people were and which type of person they were going to be on any given day.

It reminded me of myself.

I finished my cigarette, glancing down at my phone to see I had a text from an unknown number.

It's time.

I got up from my spot on the grassy field and headed into the abandoned building masked as a restaurant, looking around. I saw no one at first, until movement from my left caught my eye. I snapped my eyes to meet whatever it was that had moved and saw a dark figure in all black. I followed them.

They brought me to a black car with tinted windows I couldn't see into and I gulped. I had to remind myself I wasn't scared of anything, and I truly wasn't, but I still got nervous.

I got in, sitting in the back as the guy from before drove to our location. Trees and fields passed as we went, and I didn't recognize anything around us. I looked up at the night sky, trying to count the amount of stars I saw since you never saw any in the big city, but we were moving too fast and there were far too many.

Part of me wanted to back out because I just knew I wasn't cut out for this. When Quincy told me that this was a job even my brother wouldn't do, I almost backed out right then and there. But after getting jumped into the gang and mentally preparing myself, I knew I had to do this. It was a more difficult and dangerous job, and that's why Drew would never do it. It involved people dying. But the pay was almost double the regular pay, sometimes triple, and I knew that money would help us out.

So I agreed.

Unbeknownst to me, we were on the way to get some money from someone. I was told during the long drive. The only thing I'd been told is that someone could die, but they'd make sure it wasn't me, and I wouldn't have to be the one to kill whoever it is. That didn't ease my mind in the slightest, because I didn't think I could watch someone die, but I knew I had to. There was no part time job I could do to be able to get us out of the debt we were in. I had to do something and this was the fastest way I knew how.

While I was lost in my thoughts we pulled up to our destination. I saw the guy who may very well be about to lose his life cowered into the corner of the alleyway near the dumpster, and I gulped. There were two men in front of him. I recognized one of them as Quincy, and I didn't recognize the other one.

The figure nodded towards the men, sending me a hidden message to get out of the car and get the job done. I slid out easily, heading towards them with my hood up. I felt my face, the fabric of the mask foreign against my skin and I had to pause to take a deep breath. I could do this. This was the only way to get my brother out of a bad situation. To let him rest more.