104.

The following morning Sophia and I went over the paperwork Santiago sent over. She still remembered going over the file back in Spain and agreed it would be a good way for me to keep myself preoccupied. I am willing to do anything to keep my mind busy. Santiago had a point about seeing a therapist and I was willing to get help. However, Sophia suggested for me to take things one step at a time. If I was going to become a board member; it might get difficult for me to juggle therapy sessions. I have tried to chew more than I can swallow in the past. It is best for me to focus on working on being a good board member and I'll work on myself when the time comes.

I let Santiago know I was taking the offer and I'll be leaving with him tomorrow to New York. He sounded excited about me joining him. I have to admit I was excited to be traveling to New York, I enjoyed helping others. During the year Sebastian and I did visitations to hospitals, foster homes, and fundraisers. It was one of the things Sebastian and I had in common, we loved helping others and getting to know the people of Spain. I remember it being the times when Sebastian looked happy with his job.

"Are you going to need help packing?" Sophia snapped me out of my thoughts.

"What?" I responded.

"I said, do you need help packing?"

I shook my head, "no, Santiago is staying one night but I think I'm staying for the rest of the week and explore."

She smiled, "I think that would be good for you,"

"Yeah, thank you for going over the paperwork with me. If you don't mind having it sent back to Santiago's office, I am going to go pack,"

Sophia grabbed the folder from the table, "don't worry I will take care of it," and I watched her go up the stairs.

✨✨✨

After we got ourselves settled at the hotel, Santiago and I headed our way to the private academy. Santiago explained how it was the first foster home and educational academy to open up to a little over a hundred kids. His system was made up to help the kids continue their studies in an environment they are familiarized with. The majority of the kids get adopted and placed into public schools where it tends to be a difficult adjustment. Santiago's mission is to offer the kids the opportunity to continue their studies at the academy as well as seeing a counselor to help them settle in their new home.

Although his program is designed for all age groups, he was leaning to help the teens who have difficulty getting adopted. This program is designed to teach teens to be independent and encouraged them to pursue a college degree by offering scholarships. Overall the system Santiago has worked on for the kids sounds amazing. He is hoping by the summer of next year he will have his first batch of high school graduates entering college.

The purpose of a board of members is to help him pick qualifying teachers who understand the difficulty these kids are facing. As well as incorporate proper rules to the school system. Besides our use for educational purposes, he wanted me to help find the kids a forever family. Whether it meant looking through applications or scouting families at adoption fairs. Overall, it seemed like a major task, but it wasn't anything I couldn't handle.

"So, what do you think?" He asked, curiously as I took a bite of my chicken salad.

I grabbed the napkin from my lap and wiped my mouth, giving myself a chance to swallow my food. "I think what you are doing is amazing. It's one thing to read about it and another to see it,"

He grinned, "You think so? Nathaniel isn't as committed to this project as I am. He thought it was a great idea but the statistics show most of the teenagers who don't get adopted don't go to college. Some end in bad situations and I want to help that percentage go down,"

That's what I like about Santiago, he is committed to what he feels is right. A year ago, I saw him as an arrogant guy. I was wrong, he cares about others more than himself.

"Can I ask you what made you do want to do this?"

He stayed quiet for a second, "I had a best friend who talked to me about his struggles. We came from two different backgrounds, before him, I was a spoiled rich kid. He had gotten adopted by a politician who needed a warm felt story to be promoted. He talked about how he wished someone cared about him enough to want him to be something more than just a foster kid," his small grin faded and was replaced by a frown. "You think getting adopted by a politician was the ultimate jackpot, it is true when you are adopted by loving parents. My friend wasn't so lucky, although this man gave him everything he wanted all he desired was to be loved and given hope. You don't really get that with a parent like his,"

He took a sip of his water and sighed, "my friend opened my eyes on the truth behind foster homes and stories of his friends who ended up dead or in jail as they struggled to survive. Adalyn, all the world needs is one person to start a reaction and I wanted to become that person."

"And your friend, where is he now?" I asked.

The gleam of hope in his eyes disappeared, "his sorrows were too much, so he left this world before his time,"

I felt my heart sank, Santiago's whole purpose of helping others came from feeling as if he let his friend down.

"Roger Darren Academies are in honor of him. I promised him I was going to do my best to change at least one of those kids future,"

And there was no doubt in my mind Santiago was going to change hundreds of kid's lives.

****

Please leave your thoughts down below and don't forget to hit the VOTE button!

If you guys cannot wait for the next chapter update on Wattpad, you can now get to read the next chapter by going over to Inkitt(platform is free & ad free) by searching for my book or clicking on the link in the comment I've put right over there --->

Not only will swamping platforms bring you the next chapters, but it'll also show some serious love to your writer here.

I'll still be updating on Wattpad, don't worry. Inkitt just gonna be one chapter ahead.