Chapter 2: An overnight guest

He was going to push further and kiss her once more but suddenly he felt a searing pain in his temples. He opened his eyes and pulled away to see Sophie fall away from him, her eyes lulling back as she collapsed downward. He reached down grabbing her just before she hit the floor.

~~~

Sophie was ecstatic as she felt Fitz's hand brush on her cheek pulling her into him. But when his mind met with her's briefly the second time, her head filled with pain and she felt a stabbing in her temples. Her eyes felt heavy as she crumpled to the floor in agony, her breathing shallow as she tumbled into Fitz's arms.

~~~

"Sophie!" Fitz called, holding her now limp body. She slowly opened her eyes sucking in a labored breath of air. He propped her up as she blinked to see Fitz kneeling over her.
"Fitz," she asked Quietly, "what happened?"

"We....um" he started.

"After that" she said quickly, "did you feel the pain too?"

"A little," Fitz replied, "are you OK? was....was that my fault? he spoke looking down guiltily.

"No!" she said quickly,  "I just don't feel too good, I should rest." she said stumbling towards her canopy bed, "you can go home."

"No I can't!" Fitz practically yelled. "what kind of friend would I be if I left you alone? Like what just happened?!"

"I'm fine," she mustered.

"No you're not!" He said standing up tall. "We need to call Elwin!"

"It's probably just a stupid moonlark issue, besides it stopped so I'm probably good."

"That's a lot of probablies," Fitz argued. He had a point Sophie thought.

"If you don't call Elwin, at least let me stay for now." Fitz pleaded. He couldn't help but feel that him kissing her had hurt her somehow. Maybe this was a sign that she didn't actually like kissing him. Or like him...he thought. Sophie's voice brought him back to the present.

"Ok then," she said not willing to put up a fight. He was probably right,  and she didn't really want to be alone. He looked at the corner of the bed awkwardly.

"you can sit down" she said motioning to the place in the bed next to her. she slid into the left side and sat up against a pillow.

He climbed across her feet and plopped down next to her. "Get some rest" he said still looking concerned.

"What will you do?" she asked.  he pulled out a book from his bag.

"Get ahead on my reading for elementalism."

With that she laid her head down. The last sight before she fell asleep was Fitz sitting up in bed reading and then looking back at her with a smile. Later that night Sophie dreamt that she was with Biana talking about Fitz and she remembered their kiss. But as she was brought back into the memory, she felt the pain all so real again. She tried to scream but her voice wouldn't cooperate. She sat bolt upright in bed panting. She was startled when she felt a hand grab her shoulder.

"Are you Ok?" Fitz asked. Sophie quickly remembered that he was staying with her. She looked out the window to see the dark of night. she turned back noticing Fitz's disheveled hair and eyes squinted from sleep.  "I'm fine," she mumbled, "Just a bad dream." she blushed. She hadn't expected him to stay through the night.

Fitz hadn't expected to stay through the night either but he had drifted off at his third chapter and had just woken up at Sophie's movement. He thought he would play it off and act like he had meant to stay. After all what's so weird about the concept of him sleeping with Sophie? He thought. He actually liked that concept a lot.

She blushed again noticing how close they were under the covers.

"Are you sure you're Ok?" He questioned. "you were mumbling in your sleep."

"Really it's nothing." She said brushing the hair out of her face awkwardly and sliding back down under the blankets.

"Night," she heard Fitz say quietly as he lay back down next to her. She closed her eyes and giggled to herself and thought how jealous half of the girls at Foxfire would be to know she had slept in the same bed as Fitz. She turned her back to him and drifted into a sound sleep to the rhythmic up and down of Fitz's breathing.

(These first two chapters were really short. They are usually gonna be almost twice as long)