Chapter 7: Brain attacks

Just then Elwin rushed in and ran to Sophie's side.

Fitz turned to Alden as Elwin worked away.

"It's the Neverseen dad, they're hurting her." He paused. "And this time they're gonna pay..."

~~~

Three hours later everyone had gathered at Everglen. Keefe, Tam, Linh, Dex, Grady, Edeline, and Mr. Forkle had all rushed over when Alden told them the troubling news.

Elwin came out of Fitz's bedroom where she was resting now. The kids all rushed in while Elwin updated the adults.

Sophie opened her eyes to see Keefe Dex and Fitz crowding over her.

"Hey there," Fitz said staring sweetly at her. She could tell he hadn't gotten any more sleep than the scarce moments they were together. She looked at the clock it was 5:00 am.

"Hey..." she transmitted back.

Just then Keefe interrupted. "Am I the only one. Who's acknowledging Sophie slept with Fitz two nights in a row??" He broke out laughing. Grady gave an angry look towards Fitz when he heard this, But Fitz didn't notice. He was too busy staring at Sophie. She could feel him playing with the FAV ring on her right hand.

"Are you ok?" Sophie asked telepathically and their hands clicked together. The familiar feeling of his fingers intertwined with hers gave her heart a flutter.

"That's what I should be asking you," he replied. He was a bit red from the contacts between their hands. He liked the feeling of her skin on his. The feeling of her in general. It made him smile.

"Hellooo??" Keefe said, "normal people conversations please!!"

"Hello to you too Keefe," Sophie said smiling.

Just then Elwin strode back in.

"So what's been happening to her?" Fitz asked.

Sophie's mind flashed back to Fitz rocking her last night.

"I noticed that there was an irregular frequency near her brain," Elwin said, "and I found this." He held up a microscopic beige metal disk. "It's been transmitting Vlotrin waves..."

Mr Forkle gasped and Alden looked shocked.

"What! What is it??'" Sophie asked clearly confused.

"A Vlotrin wave is a special frequency sound wave that the ogres have traditionally used as a torture device. Their supposed to be illegal. But the Neverseen must have gotten their hands on this." Mr. Forkle explained.

"How did it get on Sophie?" Dex asked.

"They must have implanted it when they kidnapped her. The thing is with this type of applicator, they are only activated when the person wearing them is in shock. So it must have just been lying dormant until it was triggered now somehow."

Fitz gave Sophie's hand a squeeze. Her heart fluttered. The shock must have been his kiss.

They hadn't actually talked about anything that had happened and she wasn't exactly sure what terms they were on. She obviously liked him and he did seem to be getting really physical last night.