Chapter 5: All night long

(WOO! I HIT 100 READS THANKS GUYS! )

~~~

"Just try to get some sleep ok," he said turning to her. He grabbed her hand and stared into her beautiful eyes for a minute then snuggled down close to her. Sophie smiled as she felt him nestle down. He closed his eyes his hand still in hers, somehow hoping that holding her could protect her from the pain.

~~~

Moments after Sophie's mind started drifting into the all-too-familiar realm of sleep, she was met by searing jolt back to reality. For a split second she saw a figure in her mind. But the thing that caught her eye the most, was the emblem of the neverseen shining across the figure's shoulder. As she returned to herself she opened her eyes to a worried Fitz holding her temples. When he noticed her stir, he immediate scooped her up into his lap hugging her to his chest.

"Oww" she moaned.

"Sorry!" he said loosening his grip. "I was starting to get worried you weren't gonna make it. You we're having some kind of siezure or something and I could feel you were in pain. I tried to enter your mind but you didn't respond and then you screamed and I think maybe I pulled you back. I'm not sure," He said. He was now holding her face in his hands.

"It was the neverseen," she said at last.

"What?!" Fitz said, more alarmed than surprised. He turned over reaching to the night stand turning on a small light to get a better look at Sophie.

"How can They hurt you from this for away? They don't even know where you are!" he said looking confused and then scared. "What if this happens again? I can't leap you out of here like this! I don't know to help you.." he said. The worry on his face almost looked pleading.

"Fitz, I think I will be spared the worst of it if I stay awake so just help me not to drift off... is..is that too much to ask?" She said

"Of course not!" He responded. He propped her up against the elegant headboard and scooted closer.

"How are you and Keefe?" She finally said trying to start conversation.

"Good, but we're never going to hear the end of this when he finds out I slept with you again," he said looking at her to see her reaction.

"He doesn't have to know..." she responded smiling as she noticed his hand touching her knee.

"Ok Mrs. secret keeper," he joked. "Do you think it will help If we try to link minds like in cognate training?"

"We can tr-," Sophie said as she started shaking as her entire body coursed with red hot pain chiseling deeper and deeper relentlessly. Sophie slowly opened her eyes after it passed. She fluttered her eyelids as she saw Fitz's wet face looking down at her. It felt like déjà vu. His eyes were puffy and he wrapped her head up into a deep hug the minute her eyes opened. She was sitting in between his legs, her head leaning on his shoulder. But she didn't notice how close they were because she lost her breath as the shock of after pain hit her like a deafening wave, choking her back. She started shaking with sobs. Even if it was the Neverseen, how could they want to do this to another living thing? she was barely conscious enough to realize that Fitz turned her around. She was still sitting in between his legs, but her back was pressed against his chest. Fitz slowly wrapped his arms around her from behind, cradling her body with his. He lowered his head down and planted a soft wet kiss on Sophie's forehead. He knew touching her gave him a fraction of her pain, but she needed to be comforted.

Sophie managed a small word between her sobs. "...they're- hurting me Fitz"

He gritted through the pain.

"I know Sophie, it's gonna be ok." He said slowly rocking her back and forth. Her pain slowly but surely dissipated over the course of an hour. Through the whole time he kept his grip around her, resting his chin on the top of her head. Soon her breathing grew regular and she calmed as the pain finally stopped. All that was left was the taste of a distant throbbing. 

"Are you ok?" He finally asked.

"I think so," she said. He continued rocking her. "I don't know why it was so bad that time." She said, her words shaky.

"Maybe 5th time's the charm." Fitz added.

"All we know for sure is that it starts as soon as I start sleeping, and I guess sometimes when I'm awake...."

"I'll try and keep you up" he said. Then, on a more serious note he said, "I don't know how you were able to go through all of that."

"You helped a lot," she commented, suddenly becoming aware that he was still sitting up wrapping himself around her while rocking back and forth. She could feel the beat of his heart on her back, and his chin in her hair.

"Do you think we can lay down?" She finally said awkwardly. She liked being so close to him but her body needed to lay down.

"Of course." He disentangled his arms from her shoulders and waist and she lay down. All of her muscles felt relaxed like jello as they sank into his mattress. She yawned.

"Don't fall asleep" he reminded, scooting  closer under the covers. He hesitated then put his arm around her shoulder hoping she didn't feel too trapped. She jumped.

"Sorry!" He said

"You just startled me is all," she said

"Do you want me to stop?"

"No!" She answered almost a little too quickly.
She moved closer to him and lay her head on his chest, happy to feel his support.

"I'm sorry you had to feel some of that," she said after a while.

"I'm you're cognate I'm supposed to be there for you to lean on."  He responded.

"I didn't just lean, I got a whole hug thing." She smiled.

His hand moved to her head and started absentmindedly playing with her hair.

"What can I say, your more than a cognate to me."

They lay there for another hour hoping Alden or Elwin would return soon and that she wouldn't have another attack. All the while, Fitz stroked her hair and rubbed his fingers along her back trying to keep her awake.

~~~

(Challenge for all the readers, give a vote for this chapter! It only takes a second and I'm sure you'll agree this chapter smacked.)