Chapter 20

Hours have passed, Nana whom has been in her room after dinner finally steps out of her room when she feels thirsty all of a sudden. She fell asleep after shower and had no recollection how she ended up on her bed, still in her towel and hair still wet. She had no idea if Taehyung is still in her house and he might have gone back.

Pushing all thoughts apart, she creeps to the kitchen making the least noise possible. She finally gets her plain water, gulping the entire cup down in one shot. Letting a long sigh of relief, she turns to the glass cupboard at the side that is filled with cups and plates—her mother's favourite—before making her way to it. She loves how her father takes good care of the sentimental cupboard that he bought for her mother when she nagged about not having enough space to display her plates collection.

Putting one hand on the glass door, her eyes shifts from the topmost shelf, going down one by one as she admires her mother's collection. And that is the moment she saw a photo of her mother in between the cups that is arranged neatly on the third shelf. Slowly pulling the door open, she carefully fished the photo out of the cupboard and then closes it as gentle as possible.

It's a photo of her mother when she went to Japan for a trip with her father. She had her favourite flowery baby blue dress, her medium-length hair falling around her petite shoulders and of course, her favourite fedora hat.

She looks so lovely

Nana looks at the photo, remembering all the times when her mother was still alive. Her mother was the gentle one, and the most forgiving. She always had her back despite the troubles she had caused in school. Her mother was like her friend, the best companion anyone could asked for. She would always come to her room before bed time, asking about her day in school and if she is having a hard time with her studies. Nana told her everything, just about everything in her life. From the littlest thing and to anything that is bigger and serious.

Her mother knows everything about her

She couldn't believe it has been years since she left and it feels like her presence is still felt. It's like her death wasn't real and she is still alive but in a parallel world.

"I miss you so much", she heard herself says softly. "I wish you could be here and tell me bedtime stories like how you always did before. I miss your forehead kisses and your warm hugs. I miss your soft voice, your beautiful eyes and....I just want you to come back"

Nana lost track of time, realizing she had staring at the photo for too long when she suddenly sobs and a tear fell on the photo. She quickly snaps out of her thought, shaking her head as she wipes the tears while breathing in deeply. Gathering her senses, she turns around wanting to leave but then her heart jumped realizing  there's someone standing at the doorframe, sharp eyes looking at her.

Detective Kim