Chapter 39

That deep raspy voice, so deep it feels like she can drown almost instantly just by the sound of it. It belongs to only one person, but she is in no state to register that it belongs to him. Millions of thoughts crushed into her head, making her entire body freeze up at the simple word uttered by the person.

It took her entire guts to finally turn around towards the kitchen, heart pounding rapidly as her eyes flick up to meet that sharp pair of eyes.

Detective Kim

"Tae is here. He is helping me cook dinner. Now, make yourself useful and help him"

Her father's words seem to sound so distant, like an echo at the back of her head. She couldn't speak a single word as she avert his eyes, not wanting to even glance at him. It feels awkward, because she wasn't ready for this encounter. Her mind has been afloat these past few days and she was sure she wouldn't see Taehyung anytime soon.

But tonight took a big turn.

"I just need to transfer the mushroom soup into the bowl", Taehyung said as he walks back into the kitchen, leaving Nana and her father at the living room.

"Na Young, give him a hand", it wasn't a suggestion, more like an order.

Nana had to take one very long uneasy breath before slowly striding towards the kitchen, eyes dropping low as her mind began to think. Too many things popping into her already messy head, doubts and uncertainties heralding her entire self. She stands near the door frame, trembling hands playing with the hem of her shirt. Deep down, she wants to get herself out of the kitchen and run to her room. But, it would rude of her to let him do all the work whilst he is the guest of the house.

"Do you know when I can get a bowl to put the soup?", his low voice snapped her out of her thoughts, startling her.

"B-Bowl? Y-Yes, hold on"

Nana quickly heads straight to the cupboard as she shakes all those thoughts away. Breathing anxiously, forcing herself to look calm despite the war in her head as she reached for a white medium sized bowl from the top rack.

"Will this one be enough?"

Taehyung turns to the side, eyes shifting to the white bowl in Nana's hands and nods. "That would be great"

Nana tried to curve a smile, but she is just mentally and physically tired and not ready thus she ends up showing a straight face when he smiled at her. Not wanting to spend anymore time stuck in this straight up awkwardness, Nana placed the bowl beside the stove quickly and turns around to leave.

"I need a ladle for the soup", his voice halted her attempt to escape, making her gulp.

"A-A ladle?", she turns to him, swallowing hard when their eyes met. "A small one?"