11/26/21

It's the day after Thanksgiving, which means we've still got Amber for the weekend. We're all gathered on the back porch of the Greenfeld's house in Georgia, eating too much ice cream and leftover pie. It's our last night in Georgia, so we're all staying up late to hang out. Amber's college friends introduced her to Bananagrams, and she brought it with her. Considering how much she hated English in high school, I'm surprised. But to each their own, and it's fun. Plus, I get to exercise my brain so that I can use such words when emailing Jet. Bram is unstoppable, winning nearly every game.

Simon Spier and his family have joined us for Thanksgiving. Well, it's more like we're joining them for Thanksgiving. It's the first family thanksgiving and Bram insisted on having us all there. They broke it to the family when we first were booking the flights that Bram and Simon were engaged. Dad's been really quiet since. I guess he's been observing as he's made 0 gay jokes. They are really cute together. Seeing them makes me imagine being with Jet someday.

When everyone's brains have melted enough, we decide to play Scattergories, one of my favorites. As reigning champion, mom is the point keeper/category announcer. We each write up a category and put it in a hat for mom to draw as categories and we don't do the starting-with-a-letter thing.

"Famous duos/trios, go."

"Yoko Ono and John Lennon," Bram and Simon say with a large grin.

"Alice and the Chipmunks," Simon's older sister says with a straight face. The Spiers burst out laughing.

"The Axis Powers," Mr. Spier says with a grin. Mrs. Spier rolls her eyes at him and says, "Abbott and Costello."

"Brangelina," Simon's younger sister says.

"Key and Peele," Aunt Becca and Kira say, high fiving each other.

"Iggy Azalea and Charlie XCX," Amber supplies.

"Dr. Jekyll and Mr. Hyde," Dad says.

Now I'm blanking and I say something really stupid, "Miley Cyrus and Hannah Montana."

"Alright. First off, do both players get points when they say the same answer at the same time?"

"Let's do half a point each."

"Alright. Becca and Kira each get half a point and Simon and Bram each get half a point. Jack, Alice, Amber, Nora, Norman, and Emily, you get a point. Amber and Cyrus, zero points."

"That's completely unfair!" Amber protests.

"Iggy Azalea and Charlie XCX did one song 7 years ago. The song, not them, were famous," Mom says, "And Miley Cyrus and Hannah Montana are the same person, Cyrus."

I mock-gasp, "Spoiler alert!"

"Go watch Disney+, Cy," Amber says.

"You know what? I will."

After a bunch of turns, Mom draws the last category, "LGBT people we know. Go."

"Leah Burke," Simon says, probably giving us easy to say them.

"Abby Suso," Bram says.

"Simon Spier," Mrs. Spier says.

"Ellen DeGeneres," Mr. Spier says.

"Cassie Peskin-Suso," Nora says.

"Cal Price," Alice shrugs.

"Bram Greenfeld," Aunt Becca says and Bram blushes.

"Portia deRossi," Dad says. Him and Mr. Spier high five.

"Magnus Bane," Kira says.

"Lilly Singh," Amber says.