1/31/22

A.N.: The sheer irony that this is the 31st chapter and it takes place on January 31.

But wow, I did not expect the story to go this long! There's still a few chapters, though.

Owning a '95 Honda Accord myself, definitely am partial to that type of car. Also, some of what I describe is what I did as a kid (like the car window thing).

A friend recommended the song I've put up as the video for a story. The song somehow manages to perfectly capture a relationship dynamic and is honestly beautiful.

TJ and I spend the weekend texting and emailing and talking on the phone. The family was moving AJ back so we couldn't meet in person, but today I get to finally see him again. I must have read his last email directed to "Lucas" a solid 150 times.

In English class, my eyes meet TJ's almost immediately. He sits on the couch with Marty, wearing a black sweater over the jersey that's peaking out, and he's so adorable that it's hard to look at him without turning at least 10 shades of red.

"Hi, hi," I say.

He smiles as if he's been waiting for me, and he scoots over to make room.

"Can't believe you two had the guts to finally tell each other," Marty says casually.

"Really?"

"Yeah. I figured since the day you two were lost in your own world over baby taters. Like, who does that?"

"We were like that before we even had a definitive crush," I point out.

"When did you know you were crushing on each other?"

"There's been several instances but honestly since the first time we met properly, when Buffy made me help him get a chocolate chocolate chip muffin."

"I definitely started thinking of him in a different way when we met on the swings," I say. He grins brightly.

"That does explain why TJ goes to the park so much," he says. We both turn red at that one.

Mr. Bagg comes in and starts reading aloud from Beloved, and we're supposed to follow along in our own copies. But I keep losing my place. I've never been so distracted. So, I lean in to look on with TJ, and his body shifts toward me. I'm perfectly attuned to every point of contact between us. It's like our nerve endings have found a way to slip through fabric.

And then TJ stretches his legs forward and pushes his knee into mine. Which means the rest of the period is pretty much devoted to staringat his knee. There's a place where his jeans are fraying, and a tiny patchof pale skin is barely visible between the fibers of the denim. And all Iwant to do is touch it. At one point, TJ and Marty both turn to look atme, and I realize I've just sighed out loud. Thankfully, no one else noticed.

After class, Andi hooks an arm around my shoulder and turns to Marty, "So, do you concede?"

"Fine, but you have to admit, part of their relationship occurred in my party."

"But they sang the LGBTQ+ anthem at my party."

"Wait, what's going on?" TJ asks.

"Andi and I were having a competition on who throws better parties, and decided to compare my Halloween party to her theatre wrap party. she wins because a couple we both agreed should get together got together at hers."

"What did you win?"

"Bragging rights. Because the guy from the most famous party planning family in the world admitted I throw a better party than he does, which is worth more than any monetary prize or humiliating prank (which I'd never make someone do anyway)."