eight.

*six months later*

Donny

"Good morning everyone!" I smile and send off a wave to everyone in the store. Uncle Pierre looks up from his newspaper and sends me a flashy smile, while Tanya, our most recent employee runs to give me a hug. "Hey Tanya, how's the kids?" She sucks her teeth and puts her hands on her hips. "Chile the usual.. they're bad asses are with their daddy this weekend. I go to pick up lil' man from daycare later on tho." I chuckled at the seriousness in her voice and make my way to the break room.

"Well hello Mr. Derrick!" I say closing the door behind me and dropping off my bag. "Donny! You're back in town? I missed you!" He jumped up and pulled me into a tight hug that lasted a few seconds. I had been gone to college after deciding that it would be best if I went back to college rather than letting my life rot away. "I've got some rather bittersweet news Don.." Derrick scratches the back of his neck and gives me a concerned look.

"Well what is it? Don't keep me waiting!" I put on my name tag and wait for him to reveal the huge news.

"Well, Kaliyah and I are expecting..." He gives a fake smile and studies my face for a reaction.

"Oh wow! That's amazing. I'm so proud of you Derrick." I truly was proud.. I mean having a child is beautiful, but there was a side of sadness in me. The words that Derrick left with me as he dropped me off at the university rang through my head a few times. I'll be waiting for you Don. It's gonna be us against the world. "So is it a boy or girl?" I say, breaking myself out of the trance. He began to slightly smile and explain to me how it was a boy and how he was so excited.

"But heres the sweet news... I was just fucking with you. You think I'd get Kaliyah pregnant? Yeah right." He says laughing. I let out a chuckle and sigh of relief while punching him in his arm.

"Nah but I really did miss you kid, maybe if you're not too busy we could go to dinner and catch up, you know?" I nod and begin to reach for the door handle. "What you doing after work today Don?"

"Nothing. Probably go home and talk to Aoki." I said puckering my lips and feeling through my hair.

"How bout I pick you up once this shift is done and we go back to your place." I nod to his offer and walk back out the door.

Tanya smiles at me once more and grabs her purse to head out of the store. Derrick follows shortly behind her and they're both gone.

"Uncle Pierre.. we're short on those bags of hot fries that those middle school devil children always come by to get." I mark it off and write it on the list for items to restock on. Without a word, Uncle Pierre begins to spill all the beans.

"Okay Donny, I'm gonna need your help. I need a small lend of let's say... $5000 to pay back these dudes that I lost to at the casino." My mouth stood agape and I was taken back by the amount. "Yo, what the fuck were you playing? And Unc you know I don't have money like that to be giving away." I begin to pinch my temples trying to comprehend all of this madness. "Son.. you have to help me out. I bid more than what I could handle in a game of Poker. They said if I don't have their money in about.... ten minutes, they're going to shoot this shop up and everyone in it." It seemed like just as my life was back on the straight and narrow, something had to fuck it up. 

"Unc, I don't have any money like that. All I have to give is maybe $500. Now what I'd advise you to do is close shop for a few months and let me handle the shooting situation. I'll call the county and get some deputies to patrol the area." It was more of me trying to assure that my uncle would be safe and alive rather than worrying about the store. I begin to phone Derrick. "Derrick, I need you to pick me and Uncle Pierre up immediately. Less than ten minutes or shit's gonna go down." He comprehends the task and comes to pick us up.