twenty-three

"May the lord protect me as the walk gets hectic"

Donny

There was a loud bam that sounded off before I went unconscious. I could still hear everyone talking but I couldn't move my body or open my eyes. I hear beeping noises and chatter from besides me.

Before I knew it, I felt my heavy eyelids begin to lift and I blinked a few times before looking around.

"Nurse, he's awake!" The familiar voice called. My vision finally fixed on Byron and.... My sister Aoki.

"Byron... Aoki. What happened?" They smiled and exchanged glances with each other.

"Well Derrick crashed the car into a pole. You didn't have your seatbelt on and your head hit the dashboard, causing you to pass out and you stopped breathing. Derrick called just in time and he's outside the room." Aoki spoke, as she rubbed my hair.

"This is my fault. I'm sorry Donny." Byron said as he bit his lip, fiddling his fingers. I chuckled and assured him it wasn't and sat up.

The door clicked open and Aoki and Byron's facial expressions changed as Derrick walked into the room.

"Donny... I- I'm so sorry. I didn't mean for it to go that far. I swear. I was just seeing red and I didn't know what to do." Donny's eyes looked swollen from crying and he stood by the door, scared to walk in closer.

"Come here." I say.

He comes closer and begins to explain again. "I don't care what you did with him. I just want you to know that what I did was not called for. I'm sorry and I love you too."

I smiled and pulled him by the shirt closer to me so I could whisper in his ear.

"It's fine." I reached to hug him but winced once the needles inserted into my arm began to wiggle.

"Are you serious... You're gonna just take him back when he could've killed you." Byron said, balling up his fists.

"Donny, you don't need that abusive love. Your sister loves you. And most importantly... I love you. I want to see you doing well." Byron said inching closer to Derrick.

Derrick turned red and I watched as his face balled up like he was about to swing. I quickly grabbed his arm pulled him into the bed with me.

Now that I think about it, Byron had a good point. Why did I keep going back to this abusive relationship ? We both were so toxic towards each other and it wasn't getting us anywhere.

Derrick looked up at me and I felt his grip on my arm get tighter. Aoki smiled and kissed my forehead before walking out followed by an angry Byron.

I don't know if it was just me but it's like I couldn't get enough of the toxic love. It has a strong pull on me and I really love Derrick.

"You know, when you stopped breathing I pretty much panicked. I didn't know what to do. I hit the pole but it was literally under the speed limit. The car barely took any damage but I guess I really hurt you." He said laying his head on my chest.

"Forget whatever you did with Byron. It doesn't matter anymore. I just wanna better myself as a boyfriend. Work on shit I have to take care of and most importantly work on us." I took his words into thought and nodded.

Before I could say anything, I felt my eyes getting heavy. The next time they opened, Derrick was still laying on my chest and it was nighttime.

"Dontavious Laurent. We're discharging you and you need to pick up a prescription tomorrow that your doctor sent in for pain or any type of head trauma." The nurse spoke stroking my arm, removing the blankets from around me and Derrick.

The time that I was awake, I heard her singing and talking to me as if she was happy to be in here.

I shake Derrick and he jumps up, rubbing his eyes. Aoki comes in and signs some papers for me to leave.

"How you feeling?" She asks hugging me. My legs stiffen up as I go to walk but I break out of it.

"Good actually. Just a little headache. I hope it'll wear off." She smiles and walks out with me right on her trail.

Byron stands up once we walk out and gives me a look of disappointment once he sees Derrick behind me.

"Unfuckingbelievable." He spat out as he grabbed his bag and jacket.

"Byron.. Whats wrong." He jerked away from me and continued walking. I was gonna let him blow off steam until he turned around.

"I was here the entire day. Once I got the call that you were here, I was the first one up here. I even beat your good for nothing boyfriend up here. You haven't said a single word to me or even told me how you felt because you only cared about Derrick." He turned around after the last sentence and continued walking.

"Even if I didn't say anything, I'm still happy you came to check." He turned around once again, but this time got in my face.

"You got a lot of shit to work on Don. You act like you love that toxic shit. You need to open your eyes for once and grow up." He mushed my head and Derrick swatted at his hand, causing another fight.

"Donny you just gonna let him talk to you like that ? In the hospital? You letting him not only disrespect you but our relationship?" Derrick said spinning me around.

"Listen to that bitch if you want to and I promise, he gon be the reason you end up seriously injured or dead. Don't say I told you so when you pushing you six feet under." Byron said pulling at my shirt.

"Stop pulling at him." Derrick said, snatching my shirt back. Aoki tried to break it up but quickly had to just sit back and watch.

Byron pulled on my shirt once again and began to talk to me. "You gotta pick Don. Who's it gonna be? Me or him? Pick wisely cause if you pick him, I'm done for good." He said, wiping his finger across my face.

"Yeah Donny, whats it gonna be." Derrick said folding his arms.

I sighed and began to speak.

"I'm guess I'm gonna pick.."

A/N: I promise that I've been working on this update for the fucking longest but all of this online work bc of Corona has been leaving me no free time. I gts at like 6AM and wake up at 2 in the afternoon. I deadass last updated this book at 9k reads and now it's at 13k.. thank u guys soooo much :). I'm gonna try to update more frequently now and there will be an update on Sativa as well.