Chapter one

it was a quiet night in the little north Georgian mountain town. the sun had set only just and hour ago and the crickets where chirping in the cool night air. a sleek black suburban rumbles down the worn out gravel pathways of the rundown neighborhood just outside of town before pulling to a stop just outside of a small house, a term used loosely when referring to the almost decrepit looking structure. the lawn was yellow and the paint was peeling from outer-walls, the windows where hazardously boarded up where the glass had been previously shattered and the roof seemed to have sunk in the middle. it was a miracle the things was even still standing.

the two men looked at it in disdain. wondering how anyone could stand to live in such conditions as they unbuckle and cut the engine. they opened their doors and stepped out tentatively, dreading having to agitate whoever lived inside. with careful steps and squared shoulders they walked forward, prepared for whatever they might discover when the splintered door is opened.

inside of the house was another pair of men, this time brothers. one was passed out drunk on the tattered couch cradling an empty bottle in his arms, and the other was at a small card table in the corner fidgeting with a crossbow. the inside of the house wasn't much better then the outside. the floors where dirty, their where beer bottles everywhere and every corner contained some kind of mysterious water stain neither brother had the energy or time to care about. its not like they wanted to live in filth, but this house held painful, cruel memories. why would they be nice to it?

the younger of the two brothers, was startled out of his monotonous cleaning of the crossbow by a firm knock at the door. he stood up and quietly made his way to the entrance, trepidation in his chest. he looked through the clouded peephole, just barely making out the figure of the two men standing on his porch. they where wearing nice suites. nobody around here wore suites. the man stepped back and growled a small sigh as he glanced back to his brother, who was still firmly unconscious. what if they where there for his brother? would he even have the energy to care? he doesn't know.

he hears another knock, this time more insistent. he just stands there for a moment, trying to decide what to do, trying to decide if this was even real. slowly he raises his had to the doorknob and twists it open, not even fully aware of what hes doing till hes face to face with the two serious men. hes almost scared to ask... well, maybe scared was to strong a word for it. he was more so hesitant, as if he knew to expect bad knews and was simply mustering up the energy to listen. he was broken out of his revere in the next few seconds.

"would you happen to be one of the Dixon brothers?" the older of the two asked. he was pale with dark hair. he was obviously the one in charge. "yeah, who's asking?" he questioned back with a thick southern drawl as he crossed his arms Infront of himself. a clear display of his discomfort as he tried to appear more in control than he was. the other man spoke up again. "I'm arron hotchner, and this is my colleague Dereck morgon. we're with the FBI Behavioral Analisys Unit and were here in reguards to a case you or your brother may have some information on. if its not too much trouble, may I ask which brother you are?" he explained, not pausing for even a second as both he and morgan flashed their badges.

"we don't take kindly to feds round here." he replied shortly, not really a threat, not even exactly a warning. just a fact of life... he doesn't trust them. this time morgan steps forward. "look man, we get it, this aint our first rodeo and we aint here to start shit with the locals. but im sure you've heard by now that there are people missing and bodies turning up along the trails. we where told you and your brother know these woods better than anyone else in town, we could use the help. we know you both tend to have some issues with the law but we don't care about drug charges or minor felonies. we're here to find a murderer." he explained quickly and carefully, trying to dispel any possible worries.