Chapter 2

5th December

I look at the calendar and sigh before I get up and start making breakfast and lunch for the boss. After making food, I get ready for work and leave my house. Yashvi is at her mother's place. She had some important work over there. She will be coming in the evening. I had to make food for my manager too. That bitch.

As I reach my office, I give the tiffin to my manager before I sit and straight away get to work. I have to make another presentation for a deal. I have been working for two hours and my phone pinged.

Happy birthday, I'm sorry I wasn't there in the morning but I'll be there in the evening with my gift.

Love,

Yash❤️

I smiled at the message. She was the only one who cared to wish me or knew that it was my birthday today. Again, I'm used to it.

After an hour as it was lunch, I was going through the news when his name popped up. Yeah, he's famous too. I smile when I look at his photo. Nothing much had changed. Just then my office door slammed open and all of our faces snapped up to see my manager. She was fuming with anger but there was a smirk on her face. I saw the Dal(lentils) I made for her in her hand as she slowly approached me. I knew where this was going.

"Anur-" I was cut when the hot Dal was poured on my face. Her smirk widened when she saw her artwork.

"Better not forget to make the food extra spicy next time", she said. This bitch, she wants food either too spicy or too bland. It honestly fucking depends on her mood. She then storms out of the office. I had tears in my eyes from the humiliation but I just closed my eyes and took deep breaths to calm myself. Ignoring my colleagues I headed towards the washroom with my bag where I always kept my extra pair.

After washing my face and changing I went back and continued ignoring the looks I was getting from my colleagues. It was around 4 that my mother messaged me to come home early for something important. I got a little excited. Maybe she remembers my birthday. But at the same time, the bitch entered and she said I had to submit one last design by today. So when everyone was leaving, I was still working. After finishing work quickly, I glanced at the clock and it read 6:30. I quickly retrieved a small pastry from my mini-fridge and lit a candle.

"Happy birthday Tanvi", I said and ate the pastry before rushing home.

Of course, luck has never got my back. Fuck you traffic. While I was sitting in the cab, I saw a few kids on the street, begging for food. I looked at the clock and it read 7:15 meaning I still had time, so I immediately got out the cab and reached over to the kids, convinced them to come with me to a nearby restaurant. The watchman was reluctant at first but let us in. He didn't want beggars to enter the restaurant. I ordered some food and watched them as they ate.

Usually, on my birthdays I would give money and essentials to the charity but a few years ago I stopped instead whenever I see young kids on the street begging for food or clothes, I buy them food or clothes. I used to do it in London too. He would accompany me.

Because my brother is really famous and because we are in India, the Indians feel really grateful that someone from his family is buying from them and they don't accept money from us. This is one of the reasons whenever I go out I wear a scarf that covers my face. So that they take money from me.

I sat with my face covered as the kids are food. Their smile said it all. It made me happy. I even gave them some cash from my wallet.

Just as the bill arrived, I knew I didn't have money so I lead the kids outside and went to pay by card.