• 𝘷𝘪 - 𝘱𝘰𝘦

• p

• p. dameron •

I HAD MY FIRST COMBAT TRAINING. I won thanks to all those training sessions we had when I was younger. But, it felt wrong to win. It felt like I was punishing someone with my fists. Now, if I was fighting a Stormtrooper, it might be different. They're the enemy. But the boy I had to fight... my peer... we're both fighting for the same thing. I was fighting someone who sleeps in the same room that I do. I'm kinda terrified he'll stab me in my sleep. I really miss home. I really hope I can come see you soon.
     — Poe Dameron

I lay on a hospital bed, an emesis basin next to me in case I throw up again. I look to my right and spot a pretty girl, with blonde hair and blue eyes. She reaches up to her hair and pulls it into a ponytail to keep it out of her face.

"So, tell me again. When did the pain start?" She asks, looking at me.

I groan, shaking my head to stop the dizziness. The room is spinning like a top.

"Uh, about a half-hour ago? I can't really remember all that well. You can ask my friend, Snap. He's out in the hall. He can tell you everything you need to know." I say, my throat hoarse.

She nods, standing from her seat. She exits the room and I sigh. I stare up at the ceiling panels, examining all of the microscopic dots, trying to count them.

"Private Dameron, What on earth are you doing here?" She asks.

I look back forward, spotting Marlene Mason. Her smile drops, an eyebrow raising.

"What are you doing here?" She asks, approaching me.

I shrug, scratching the opposite side of my neck with my index and middle finger.

"Han sent me in for a check-up after my match," I say, groaning at the struggle to speak.

She steps closer, staring at my throat with narrow eyes. She grabs her pager, dialing for someone.

"Doctor Crowe, can I get some assistance in here?" She asks.

She walks forward, grabbing the handheld button panel to raise the bed to working height.

"I'm fine, Doctor. Really, I'm okay." I say, trying to reassure her.

She shushes me, shaking her head. She grabs an I.V. bag of Saline solution. She pokes me with the I.V. and gets the fluids into me. Suddenly, Piper enters the room, an eyebrow raised.

"Marlene, what's going on?" She asks, looking at Marlene.

She turns her head, spotting me laying on the bed. I wave slightly.

"Private Dameron?" She asks. "What happened? Are you alright?"

She approaches, helping Marlene hook me up to all of the monitors.