• 𝘹 - 𝘱𝘰𝘦

• p

• p. dameron •

GRADUATION IS ONE WEEK AWAY. I am so excited to finally be able call myself a pilot. I am so excited to be able to fly on my own and not feel bad about it. Flying is an addiction. At first, it seemed wrong. But, then, it felt so right to be up in the sky, touching the line that separated space and the atmosphere of the planet. It felt good to fly dangerously high and hear every alarm that damn ship had beep as a warning.
     — Poe Dameron

Snap flies now against Peter, the boy from his fight. They're trying to find a model TIE-Fighter and track it, not take it down. We stand on the tarmac, watching them chase a neon green model TIE-Fighter whilst tracking it. Han says we can't destroy anymore of them because I shot two down last week. A loud boom echoes through the sky and the X-Wings come barreling towards the Tarmac. Snap's X-Wing is on fire, the flames growing bigger and bigger as he grows closer to the tarmac.

"Snap! Bail! Bail!" I scream, watching him fly even closer to the Hangar.

"He's hit! The blast hit him hard. We don't know where it came from." Peter says over the intercom.

Snap's X-Wing collides with the tarmac, sliding into the Hangar bay. The flames stretch throughout the vehicle and outwards. I sprint towards him, climbing up onto the scalding hot metal. I reach to the top hatch, pulling the emergency release lever.

"Get a medic and a fire team now!" I shout, my hands shaking as I grab Snap.

He's unconscious, leaning back in his seat. I reach forward, grabbing him by the vest. I pull him forward, yanking him out of the cockpit.

"He's unconscious. Catch him!" I shout to the initiates that stand near the vessel.

They create a circle, linking their arms together to create a human net. I lower him slowly into the net, watching as they each grab him and drag him away from the flames. I leap off of the burning hot metal death trap. I run my scalding palms off on my jumper pants. Leia pushes the door to the Hangar open, running in with a Medic and Fire team not far behind her.

"Han! There's a TIE-Fighter our there. It shot down one of your X-Wings." She says.

Her eyes meet the flaming debris of a pre-existing X-Wing and gasps.

"Sergeant Solo, sir? General Organa, ma'am?" I ask, gaining his and Leia's attention. "Permission to pursue?"

Han looks at Leia and she nods. She reaches forward, grabbing my arm.

"Permission granted. Go, and be safe. Once your back, come to the med-bay and get those burns checked out." She says.

I nod. I sprint to the locker room, grabbing a white flight vest. I pull it on, sprinting to the Hangar bay.

"Make sure Marlene and Piper take the best care of Snap possible." I say.

"What makes you think they're going to see Snap?" Han asks.

"Because I say so. You said it yourself. They're the best doctors in the Resistance. He deserves the best right now." I say.

I climb into a neighboring X-Wing and pull on the helmet. I start the vessel, lifting off of the ground, flying out of the Hangar bay.

"That TIE-Fighter is going to try and sneak up on you, Poe. That's how it got Snap." Peter says.

I nod, flying over the base. I see the people on the base running. Panic. I've got to stop this thing before it hurts anyone else. I spot the TIE-Fighter flying near the bridge. I put power into the speed. I zoom past the Fighter, then yank on the steering. I spin the vessel around, and now I'm head to head with the TIE-Fighter. I switch from bombs to missiles, target the Fighter, and fire all within a second. I watch the missile hit the Fighter so seamlessly. The missile tears the hull of the craft, splitting it into two pieces. They fall to the ground, colliding with a heavy thud. I fly to the Hangar and land the X-Wing. I climb out, remove my vest and helmet, and sprint to the med-bay.

"Push 10 mg of Morphine. He's in a lot of pain right now. Page the trauma team. We're gonna need to clean out these burns." Piper says.

I approach the room, spotting Snap groaning on a gurney.

"Snap! You're okay!" I exclaim, smiling as I wave from the hall.

He smiles back, raising his arm to wave at me. The burn on his neck looks pretty painful.

"Thanks for climbing in there and saving me, Poe. You really are the best friend I could ask for." He says.

I smile, shrugging. Marlene turns her head, spotting my hands and arms.

"Poe, you're burnt. Those are bad burns. Let me see those." She says.

She grabs my arm gently, looking down at my forearms and hands.

"You climbed in there and saved him?" She asks, an eyebrow raised.

I nod. He's my best friend. That's what you do for your best friend. She presses a piece of cotton to the burn on my left forearm and a I groan out.

"These are deep, Poe. Come in here. We need to clean these out." She says.

I enter Snap's room. She makes me sit on a black stool in the corner of the room as she cleans my burns. She stares at my face.

"That was really brave of you to do, Poe." She says, smacking the back of my head. "And really stupid too. You don't run head-first into flames. You allow the fire teams to get those flames put out first before you dive head-first."

Piper finishes cleaning out Snap's burns and wraps them gently.

"If Poe didn't get me when he had, I'd probably be dead right now. I own everything to Poe for being here right now." Snap says.

I smile, shaking my head at him.

"That's what you do for your best friend, Snap. You go through Heaven or Hell for them." I say.