• 𝘹𝘷𝘪𝘪 - 𝘱𝘰𝘦

• p

• p. dameron •

WHATEVER HAPPENED TO ELYSE, happened because of Ben. He had something do with it, if not being the culprit himself. Who could ever attack their younger sister and feel no remorse? That sibling is your equal—made from the same DNA as you. Made by the same two people as you. Equal to you. They're no lesser or superior version of you. They are your equal. Treat them that way.
     — Poe Dameron

Elyse sits quietly on the floor of the hutch, wrapped tightly in her own arms. I tuck her lightsaber away in my bag, sure to give it to Leia upon our arrival back at the base. My father crouches before Elyse, a cup of water in hand along with something to eat.

"No thank you, Sir. But thank you for offering." She says, shaking her head.

He sets the items down on the nearby table, grabbing her hand.

"Dear, you've lost a lot of blood. You need to replenish yourself. It's the only way you'll feel better." He says.

She smiles at him, nodding. He grabs the glass of water for her, handing it to her. She sips at the water, taking a couple bites of whatever he brought her to eat.

"Thank you." She says, nodding at him.

That radiant glow she had in the picture from before is missing. She's sad and broken. I crouch down, placing a hand on her shoulder.

"Are you ready to go home?" I ask.

Her dark eyes examine my features and she nods, a small smile on her face.

"Yes, I am. Thank you, Poe." She says.

I help her stand, watching her sway from side to side slowly.

"Take your time. We aren't in a rush." I say, holding out a hand for her to use to put pressure on.

She limps forward, placing a hand on her stomach. She groans out, arching over.

"Hey, you don't have to do this." I say, crouching in front of her.

She shakes her head, her hair falling out of her bun, hanging in her eyes.

"Yes, I do. I can do this." She says, her tone sharp.

She let's go of my hand, standing up straight. She steps again, sighing out sharply as she does so. She takes another step, the pain in her abdomen sharper than she expected. She falls, her hands catching my shoulders as her knees hit the ground. She hangs her head low, shaky breath escaping past her lips. I place my hand on her chin, lifting her head to look at me.

"You can do this. Try again." I say, helping her stand.

She looks at me, her dark eyes sad, but full of fire. She wants this. She lifts her leg, taking a small step. She lands, looking at me. I nod, standing before her. She takes another step, her weight too much to bare on that leg. She falls again, landing in my arms again. She covers her face with her hands, sobbing out in agony.

"I can't do it. I'm too weak." She says, her hands trembling on her face.

I shake my head, grabbing her hands, forcing her to look at me.

"Maybe you can't walk here. We'll try again at the base. We'll get you back to 100%." I say. "I promise."

She nods. I look at my Father, his dark eyes full of something powerful.

"Thank you, Dad, for everything. This means the world to me." I say.

He nods, a smile on his face. We hug, staying there for a couple seconds. It'll be our last hug for a while. I return to Elyse, crouching down beside her. I reach under her knees, lifting her off of the floor.

"What are you doing?" She asks, an eyebrow raised as I lift her.

I shrug, a smile on my face as I step out of the hutch.

"We have to get to the X-Wing somehow." I say.

She sighs, shaking her head as we step into the sunlight.

"This is demeaning." She says, her arms wrapped around my neck and shoulder.

I shake my head, looking down at her as I adjust my hand under her knees.

"Why? This is how I got you to the hutch in the first place." I say.

She raises an eye at a group of children running our way.

"Poe!" Dezi shouts, laughing as usual with his friends.

"What's this about?" She asks, an eyebrow raised.

I sigh, sharply. I crouch down, setting her on the ground.

"This will only take a minute." I say.

I spin around on my heel, my voice hitching in my throat when Dezi and his posse tackle me.

"Okay, kids, calm down!" I exclaim. "I missed you too!"

Elyse sits off to the edge, watching the dog pile with wide eyes.

"Dezi, kids, I'd like for you to meet my friend, Elyse. Be careful, she's injured right now." I say.

Dezi and the other kids climb off of me, slowly approaching Elyse.

"What happened to you?" A younger girl asks, looking up Elyse.

Elyse laughs, placing a hand on her stomach over the bandage.

"I crashed my speeder, but Poe here found me and took me to see his father." She says.

I lean down, crouching beside Dezi.

"She's a Resitance Doctor too." I say, smiling at them.

They all exclaim in awe, looking at her.

"I was training to be a pilot when I crashed." She says, showing a dog tag with her name on it.

Dezi raises his hand, exposing his toothy grin.

"Why were you training to be a pilot if you're already a Doctor?" Dezi asks.

She smiles at him, then looks at me.

"I want to be a flight medic. That way, say Poe over here gets shot down or injured, I can land and check on him and see if he's alright." She says.

I laugh, shaking my head.

"Not that I ever would get shot down." I say.

She laughs, nodding.

"Are you gonna be a pilot, Elyse?" A young boy in the back asks.

She looks up at me, her dark eyes full of hope. The sadness that filled her face before is non-existent. She glows again.

"If Poe will allow me into his program, I'd be happy to fly under his guidance." She says, looking up at me.

I nod, crouching down to pick her up, a smile on my face.

"I'd be happy to teach you." I say.