Chap 31. • "Remember Me"

Christopher Brown

I woke up in my large bed alone, to my surprise. I'm so used to being with Aya, I don't even sleep at my house anymore. She comes over when Royalty's here, but for the most part I'm always popping up at her crib and end up staying.

Aya went home last night after our "date" because I guess she was in her feelings. I'm thinking that the miscarriage is hitting her harder than expected, and I know I'm supposed to be there with her, which I wanted to be, she seemed as if she just needed some time to herself. She wasn't talking much and wouldn't answer when I asked what was wrong. Only time she answered is when I asked if she was mad at me, but even then she just shook her head.

But it won't be like that today, Imma make sure of it. I'm not good with "affection", but I did set up a lil' something to cheer her up. I'm not sure if it'll work, but it's the thought that counts right?

After getting dressed and taking care of my hygiene, I gave Aya a quick call. A few long rings later, the other line picked up.

"Mm?" She groaned in a congested voice, letting me know that she either just woke up or I just woke her up.

"Wake that pretty ass up and get ready." I told her while getting into my car. I had a few errands to run before getting her and I know how much time it takes for her to get ready.

"Ready for what?" She cleared her throat, but I heard no other movement.

"I'm taking you somewhere." I slammed my car door shut and pulled off from the curb.

"Chris, as much as I would love to go out with you—"

"I don't wanna hear it. I'm coming to get you, that's it and that's all." I didn't allow her to decline my invitation, which really wasn't even an invitation. I wasn't asking her to come with me, I was telling her.

"Fine, Christopher." Aya sighed deeply.

"Don't take forever. Bye, princess." I blew her a kiss through the phone before hanging up.

After I finished up what I had to do, I figured Aya should be done. I gave her more than enough time to drown in her unnecessarily hot shower, air dry, get dressed, and eat. I shot her a text to let her know I was outside. A few minutes later she came shuffling out of her house, her curls sitting wildly atop of her head.

"There's my pretty lil mama." I said as she opened the car door. Her eyes rolled themselves, but behind that mean facade an adorable blush and a faint toothless grin stood.

"Where are we going?" She asked as she closed the door behind her and buckled herself in.

"Well, damn. Can I get a hello? A kiss? A pat on the head, somethin'?" I scrunched up my face as she chuckled, planting a soft peck on my cheek, then one on my lips.

"We're going on a little road trip, nothing too serious. I'm not telling you where, you'll have to wait and see." I wiggled my eyebrows and plugged my phone into the aux, before pulling away from her house.

"I'mma play a few songs. I'll sing the first part, then you gotta finish the lyrics for me." I told her as my eyes constantly transitioned from my phone to the road.

"And if I win?" She leaned against the window.

"You'll be the best girlfriend ever." I gave her a cheeky grin, seeing a sly eye roll.

"I don't need to play game for that, but whatever. Play the damn song." She waved me off.

"Ight, we gon' start off easy." I pressed play and listened as my voice faded into play.