Chap. 59 • "Bad Blood"

Trimester 1
Month 1, Week 4
Aya Weathers

Today was December 18, and I had my first checkup. I didn't bother to see if Chris wanted to attend, since the last time I asked he completely shut me down.

I was actually quite busy today, after my appointment I had an interview with Chris at Big Boy's Neighborhood. As much as I don't want to go, I don't exactly have a choice. I don't appreciate Tony setting this up knowing how we are towards each other, but telling him is no use. When does he listen to me?

"Tory, you know you really don't have to come with me, right?" I told him as we got into my car.

"Yes, I do. I am in charge of making sure you're okay at all times." He put on his seatbelt. I shook my head.

"I'm pregnant, not crippled." I placed my key into the ignition and fiddled with the radio. Jerry Sprunger happened to be playing on one of the stations, so I turned it up.

"I'm just protecting you at all costs." He said.

"Well, I appreciate the effort, but you know I have other things to do after this appointment, right?" I glanced at him and raised an eyebrow.

"Where you gotta go?"

"I have an interview with Christopher." I sighed deeply in negative anticipation.

"Yikes, I ain't really feeling him right now. We got into it the other day." He informed me.

"Because of me, right?" I frowned and stared out the window.

"Hey, don't look like that. I was just tryna talk a little sense into 'em—"

"This is exactly what I was worried about. I knew you spending so much time with me was gonna become a problem. I understand that he was a little harsh, but he kind of has a right to be mad. He got cheated on." I placed my elbow on the door and leaned against my fist.

"He definitely has a right to be mad, but responsibilities come first. You can be mad and be rational at the same time, Aya, and I just don't think the way he chose to go about it was right. He could've asked for a DNA test, something." Tory scoffed and crossed his arms.

"It's hard to think rational when you're angry. Besides, I don't know how I would feel if I was Chris and he was me and you were spending more time with him, even though I'm the one that got cheated on and might need the support." I tried to put myself in his shoes.

"Priorities, Aya. You're pregnant without the help of the father. Regardless of the situation, no woman should go through that type of stress. Besides, I was there for Chris, which is why it took me so long to get to you. He decided he wanted to be rude, and said some disrespectful shit towards me. That's when I chose to take a step back."

So Tory tried to cheer Chris up, or at least be a good friend, and Chris shut him down too? I've never seen him like this, and it's all my fault.

"If Chris wants to talk, I'm all ears. But I'm not making efforts to speak to nobody who doesn't want to be spoken to." I sighed and nodded, not really knowing what else to say.

I don't really know how to feel. I want to be mad at Chris, and say fuck him for leaving me hanging like that, but it's hard to when I know how angry with me he must be. At the same time, like Tory said, he could've ordered a DNA test. I mean he went the extra mile with Ammika, and she was lying the entire time. Why not me?

If I told Chris how far along I was, that would provide a little opening for him to be a bit more open about the idea of this baby being his. Yet, I can't even get him to listen to me for more than five seconds. And I feel as if I show up at his place again, I'll run into the wrong situation.