Chap. 58 • "Grind"

Trimester 1
Month 1, Week 3
Aya Weathers

Lately, this whole independent pregnancy gig has actually been really fun. I have help from Karilyn and Tory, and Kenya is so overprotective of me it makes no sense. Sometimes it gets so bad that she doesn't even want Tory to touch me. Then they'll start fighting over me, which is the cutest thing ever.

My belly is starting to show, but it's nothing that can't be hidden by a t-shirt. I'm not necessarily trying to hide it, but I'm not exactly trying to be that open about it right now. When my stomach starts showing to the point where it's kinda obvious, I'll just let it speak for itself.

Right now, Kenya's at school, and me and Tory are at the studio to kill time. He's helping work on these singles, because I'll definitely need to start grinding if I'm gonna have two kids in the house. Two expensive children that I can't help but spoil rotten.

"Start the track over for me." I motioned to the soundboard, placing the headphones back over my ears.

"You got it, baby." He said. A guitar instrumental began to play while I nodded to the music.

"Wish I could swallow up this feeling. So far the ground won't touch my feet. And I know, your lips and mine should never meet."

"Something you say, got stuck in my head. You shoot the stars, then we broke the bed. Spring turn to summer, that's when you went. But I reckon that you think of me. When you go, when you go, when you go, I reckon that you think of me."

"I tried to live outside the moment, hey. But the feel of your touch, it touches me. And I know, your lips and mine should never meet."

I repeated the chorus and before I knew it, we had finally finished my first single. Of course we had a few more to put out, but I was happy to know that I had got something done.

My baby is gonna be so blessed, both their parents can sing, neither of them are financially unstable, and one of them can do pretty much everything. Even if Chris isn't in their life, that won't stop them from gaining any of the talent in his body.

"I really like this one, which one next? We got hella options." He asked, scrolling through the files on my phone.

"Go to Notice." I instructed him. He did as I said and played the instrumental, which was a Brandy sample.

"We don't need to speak if it's spoken. We don't gotta fix what's been broken. I'm so sick of going through the motions. Lately you've been fucking up my focus."

The sound of the studio door opening caught my attention, and in walked Christopher. I shook my head to refrain myself from stopping the song and turned my focus back to the mic.

"And I just think I need some more patience, they say it's a virtue. And I know if I keep up this playing, bitches gon' hurt you. And I don't wanna be here alone, yeah. When you know it, but I need you to notice. I need you, I need you to notice. I need you to know this, I need you, wow. Said I need you."

I took a quick glance up to Christopher, who wasn't looking at me, but still nodded his head to the beat.

"Yeah, I done been here before, yeah. Yeah, I done had two for one, yeah. Yeah, you know, you having' fun yet? You knows my plans for you, I took a chance on you. I've been counting my blessings, working on my profession, I been out here finessin'. You've been off since you left here, I can't get back time."

I stopped midway because I had began to become a little lightheaded. I placed a hand on my forehead and took the headphones off, taking deep breaths.