Chap. 39 • "Rejuvinated"

Aya Weathers

The bright rays of the sun filled my vision as I shifted my position along the black silk sheets of the bed. Wait, black?

I quickly rose from my fixed position to try to pinpoint where I was. I scanned the area until my eyes landed on Shayla, who slept soundly beside me. She looked peaceful, hair falling over her face wildly. I noticed the hickeys that painted her mocha skin as vivid images of last night came flooding to my mind.

I bit my lip and felt the blood rush to my cheeks, actually chuckling slightly. In any other situation like this, I would've dipped by now. This? It's new. I'm comfortable.

So instead of leaving, I made myself comfortable, waiting for her to awake. I let my eyes sink, just to rest them. Just as I was beginning to doze off once again, I felt shifting in the bed. I kept my eyes closed until I felt her push my hair out of my face and plant a soft, sweet kiss along my tired lips.

"Morning, beautiful." She said lowly with a subtle grin on her face.

"Hey, you sleep okay? I know I get a little wild sometimes." I chuckled nervously, not wanting to look away from her eyes.

"You were fine, you didn't really move much." It was true, I mostly stayed cuddled up to her for warmth. Or maybe it wasn't cold and I just wanted to cuddle. I don't know.

"So about last night..." She trailed off. I blushed, recapping our eventful night.

"About last night?" I bit down on my bottom lip, looking into her hopeful eyes.

"I don't want to jump into any conclusions, but I do wanna be honest with you. I've been feeling you. I love being around you, talking to you, all of that. I understand that you just got out of a relationship not too long ago, and so did I. So if you don't feel the same way, I get it." Shayla explained to me.

It's been two months, I'm over Chris. I don't want him back, I barely even want to be cordial with him, but I have to for the sake of my paycheck. It won't hurt to try something new.

"I've been feeling the same way. You know I have trust issues, so how about we keep it lowkey for now, test the waters. Then when I'm positive that we're ready, we can jump in with both feet." I grabbed her hand and pecked her lips quickly.

She took my face into her hand and deepened the kiss, smiling in between. Just as things were about to get frisky, my phone began to ring violently. Sighing deeply, I reached and grabbed it, seeing that the call was from Joyce.

"Hold on," I told Shayla before answering the call. "Hello?" I said in a sing song tone.

"Hi, beautiful. How are you?" She answered in a sweet, soft spoken tone.

"I'm amazing, and you?" I told her truthfully. I feel like I'm on cloud nine and I don't plan on coming down.

"Amazing? That sounds great. I'm okay, a little booked for today. Speaking of, I kind of need a favor. Would you like to come over for lunch?" Her voice was genuinely pleasing.

"Sure. 1:00 sound good to you? I just woke up." It was already 11:30 and I needed at least an hour to get ready.

"That's fine, no rush. Come with an appetite." She chuckled sweetly.

"I'll make sure to. Take care, I'll see you in a little bit." I hung up the phone and set it back on the nightstand.

"Who was that?" Shayla asked as she planted soft kisses along the nape of my neck.

"Chris's mom. She invited me over for lunch."

"Guess that's my cue to let you go for the day, huh?" She pushed my curls out of my face after they fell back.