Chap. 69 • "Possibilism"

(Yes, that's me up there 😎💀)

Christopher Brown

"Ayden, please stop crying." I whined, bouncing my wailing child in my arms, hoping the crying would stop at any moment.

But it never did.

"You always do this when she leaves. What's so special about mama that I don't have?"

My words didn't help an ounce, for it seemed like everytime I bounced him in hopes he would be quiet, he simply got louder. I wanna cry too.

"Fine, I'm calling mommy. Is that what you want?" I pulled out my phone and frantically searched for her contact, clicking on FaceTime. I tapped my foot impatiently as the phone rung, sighing deeply once the screen said connecting.

"What's up? Is something wrong?" Aya kept the screen on the ceiling as I heard her stick her hand into a bag of chips.

"Ayden keeps crying and he genuinely won't stop this time. Usually I can get him to calm down, but he's been at it for the past 10 minutes, bro." I informed her of my dilemma.

"Is his diaper clean?" She shoved a chip into her mouth. I brought him up to my face and smelled him, not smelling anything.

"Yeah, it is." I confirmed. Her forehead and messy bun were peeking in the camera, but all I could see were her eyebrows and the rim of her glasses.

"Did you try giving him Mr. Fluffy Man?" She asked after a moment. Mr. Fluffy what?

"Who the hell is Mr. Fluffy Man?" I scrunched up my face, trying to think of who that was and why the name wasn't ringing a bell.

"The damn bear, Chris, Jesus." Irritation completely took over her tone and I could tell just by the sound of her voice that she rolled her eyes. Well, she's always doing that when I'm around, so...

"I knew that. I was just tryna see if you did." I lied, looking for the stuffed bear that was always in his bag.

I took it out and handed to him, hoping the noise would stop. He examined the bear for a moment, but ultimately ended up throwing it straight at my face, and started crying louder.

"That didn't work, Aya."

"Chris, have you fed him today?" She asked in a hesitant manner. I remained quiet, giving her an answer.

"Are you stupid?! If you don't feed that boy or so help me, I will come up there and beat yo' ass!" She was really starting to get this mother thing down packed. I mean she got the voice and all, even the lip thing they do when they threaten you.

"Everytime I try to feed him he won't eat. I put the bottle in my shirt and everything."

"Did you put on the wig?"

"Aya, I'm not putting on a wig." I chuckled through gritted teeth.

"You want that boy to eat or not? Put the thang on or so help me God—"

"Okay, damn!" I groaned. I pulled out a curly wig that she packed for me, and placed it on my head. We came up with the theory that he wouldn't eat unless he knew that Aya was feeding him, so she packed me a damn costume of her.

"The glasses too."

"But—"

"But nothing." She cut me off. I huffed and threw on a pair of her old glasses just to seal the deal. I placed the bottle in my shirt, sticking the teat through the hole in it. His crying came to a stop, and he immediately latched himself onto the bottle.