Chap. 68 • "Miracle"

Aya Weathers

"It's your smile that brings me to tears. My hand feeing your kick now. You're my gift, I just wanna show you to the world. My miracle, oh. Baby, my baby, my baby boy." I sang softly to Ayden, trying to get him to fall asleep. He's been fussy all day and I'm a little in need of a nap. But his needs come before mine, so I won't be okay until he is.

A knock at the door didn't help much as he only began to rustle more, and I could sense him feeling the urge to burst into tears. I sighed deeply and rocked him in my arms, standing up. I opened the door and saw Chris standing there with his hands stuffed in his pockets.

"I didn't expect to see you here." I moved my eyes back towards Ayden and shushed him softly, getting frustrated.

"Can I come in?" He asked sheepishly. After battling with my pride, I figured I couldn't hold on forever.

I stepped to the side and let him in, closing the door behind him. He stood off awkwardly to the side as I took my seat back on the couch. Ayden's wails didn't help much, and I knew I wasn't gonna get that boy to sleep. When I saw him reaching for my breast with his clammy hands, I groaned.

"You just ate, bubba. You still hungry? You wanna eat eat?" I cooed, pinching his chubby cheeks. He babbled and drooled a little, still clawing at my chest with stubbed fingers.

"Can you do me a favor and hand me a paper towel? In the kitchen, on the island." I asked Chris. With no hesitation, he went to retrieve what I asked for. While he was gone, I quickly pulled down my shirt and allowed Ayden to attach himself to me. Once he came back, his eyes widened, but then he lowered them quickly.

"Here you go." He handed the napkin to me, clearing his throat.

"Have a seat. I don't like people standing up around me while I'm sitting." I motioned to the far end of the couch that I was facing.

"Can I see him now? Or did you want to talk first?"

"I'll let you see him. Just in case our 'talk' turns into an argument." I put quotations around the word.

I wiped off Ayden's mouth and pulled my shirt up, smiling at him once more before handing him to Chris. Chris took him carefully, holding him close. Ayden rustled and opened his eyes, keeping them on Chris. He reached for his chiseled face, placing a hand on his cheek. Chris had the widest smile on his face, but he was blinking rapidly.

"Don't tell me you are about to cry." I shook my head.

"Can a grown man cry in peace?" He smiled, but I just rolled my eyes.

"He looks so much like you."

"Really? I think he looks more like you." Chris disagreed. I half-heartedly shrugged.

"How is this gonna work? Us?" Chris turned towards me.

"What do you mean 'us'? There isn't an us, there's me, you, and our son." I scrunched up my face.

"I want to work on this. It's already stressful having to transition between households with Royalty, and I don't want the same thing with Ayden." He shook his head. I looked off, not really knowing what to say.

"I don't want a relationship with you, Chris. I'm not sure why you think that, but I'd appreciate if you get that thought out of your head." I told him in the nicest way my attitude would allow me to.

"Can't we just work something out? I want us to be a real family." He pleaded.

"You didn't want anything to do with me earlier this week." I crossed my arms.