Second Meeting Part 2

Barbara and Lance

It was finally night time and I, as the leader of the Disciplinary Committee, needed to report to the principal about how today went.  

I make it to the door of the principal's office and knock on the door. 

"Come in." I hear him call out. 

I grab the golden knob, turn it, and open the door. But when I did and walked into the room, I end up seeing Lance here too. 

He turns around and smiles seeing me. "Hello, Barbara." 

I snap out of my shock and close the door behind me. "Hello Lance, what brings you here?" I ask. 

"I asked Lance earlier today if he would come to my office and give me a report on how the woodland furries are doing." The principal answers my question. 

I nod my head in understanding, not only do the humans need to behave but so do the furries. 

"So Barbara, tell me, have the students behaved themselves today?" He asks me. 

I nod my head in confirmation. "Yes principal, all the students behaved themselves today, I only wish I could say the same about earlier this morning though," I mutter the last part in annoyance. 

"Ah yes, Lance was just telling me about that," The principal says. 

I look up at Lance in surprise and see he's already looking at me. 

"I feel bad that you and the Disciplinary Committee have it rough with all the students' who crowd, shove and push just so they can get a look at the woodland furries." The principal shows sympathy. 

I shake my head in denial. "Oh no principal, it's no trouble at all. It's all part of the job as a Disciplinary Committee member."

"Still I want to make things a little easier for you guys, and so does Lance," the principal says. "And so, that's why Lance and I were also going through our school budget so that we could build a fence outside of the furries dorm gates."

My eyes widen at the idea. "A fence, principal?"

"Yes," He nods his head, "this fence will help keep the students away the pathway and all you and the Disciplinary Committee have to do is keep the students from climbing the fence." He explains to me. 

Actually, a fence would be a good idea. It would definitely make our jobs easier if there was a fence between the woodland furries and the screaming students. 

"I think that's a great idea, principal," I say. 

He smiles with satisfaction. "Perfect. After I've gone over the budget and the cost for the fence, and hopefully if we can afford it we can get started on it right away." 

Both Lance and I nod in agreement with the principal and together we walk out of the office. After the door closes, I look up at Lance. 

"You didn't have to tell him about this morning, Lance." 

Lance looks at me with a down face, I didn't like seeing that on him. "I did it because I'm tired of seeing you working so hard on keeping those other girls' at bay and that it wounds up with you getting hurt." He tells me. 

"Yeah, but I told you Lance, it's nothing I can't handle." I try to remind him. Although knowing him, he's not going to believe me. 

"But you can't always handle it, Barbara," Lance says then he cups my cheek with his soft hand. "You don't need to try and cover your stress from me, if you ever feel stressed out over something that you can't handle, just come to me and I'll take care of it."

Then he tucks a loose strand of my red hair behind my ear, "I'll see you tomorrow Barbara." Lance steps around me and walks away. 

I turn and stare at his retreating figure, watching as he walks away, heading back to his dorm. 

"Yeah," I mutter, "but then that would make my debt for you grow higher." 

Elizabeth and Seth

Elizabeth's POV:

Today is a new day. I'm in the copy room copying up some papers that Seth needed. Meanwhile, he's in his office trying to finish up his speech that he was gonna perform for the News Conference on TV.

I finish copying the last paper, pile them all up neatly in my arms, and carry them off. Some of my co-workers greet me as I'm walking past them, I greet them back politely. I finally make it to Seth's office but pause because I hear him talking to someone. Curious I open the door quietly and peek inside to see what was going on. 

I see Seth is on the phone talking to someone and from the sound of the familiar female voice on the other line, it's his wife. I couldn't hear everything he was saying, but then I hear him sigh in frustration and he hangs up the phone. 

I clear my throat and knock on the door before I enter the room. "Hello, sir." I greet him. 

Seth turns his head and smiles at me. "Hey, Beth."

I can still hear the frustration in his voice. "Is everything alright sir?" I ask him with concern. 

Seth's smile wipes away then he sighs again and shakes his head. "No, it isn't Beth."

"What's wrong?" I ask him walking closer to him. 

"It's my wife," He answers, "she didn't show up for our date last night and I was concerned. So I called her earlier and asked her why she didn't show, and she told me that she had a last-minute appointment that she couldn't miss. She started getting mad at me for questioning her and I tried to explain how worried I was when she just hung up on me."

I felt bad for Seth. This has been happening for a long time, even before I started working here. I can't tell you how many times Seth has told me about his wife standing him up when they were supposed to go out together. 

"Well," I mutter but spoke up, "maybe it might've been a doctor's or a dentist or some other important appointment. I mean it's not easy to cancel those kinds of appointments and then try to reschedule them, but still she should've at least told you about it before your date." 

Seth thinks about it then nods his head. "Yeah, you're probably right. It was probably an important appointment she couldn't cancel." 

I nod my head and then walk over to my desk and sat down, placing the copied papers on my desk and went back to work.