He Compliments Her

Mary and Terrance

So a team of officers, including Terrance and myself, were all at the coffee shop, the one I brought Terrance to once a few days ago. Terrance and I were sitting at the bar together while most of the other officers sat at tables. 

"So, what made you decide to become a forensic pathologist with the police?" Terrance asks me after he gulps down a bite of a cinnamon roll. 

"Well, it sounds a little weird but I'll tell you anyway," I said before I tell him, " See, when I was little my parents used to bring me to the museum as a family outing thing, my favorite part of the museum was the Egyptian exhibit, mainly because of the mummified bodies. See to me, those bodies were once people and they held a history, a history of greatness and power. Everyone always thought it was weird for my likings but I ignored it. Also, most of the men on my dad's side of the family were once in the police force. So when I was in jr. high, I learned that there is a job in the police career called a forensic pathologist. So when I enrolled in high school, I took all the classes necessary for that certain job. All the law classes, health classes, science classes, all of them. And I passed each one with honors, graduated top of my class, then I got into the police academy and graduated from there and so now, here I am." 

Terrance seems fascinated with my origin story. "That's interesting," he hums, "and I don't think it's weird that you have a liking for looking at mummified bodies in a museum."

"Really?" I ask with slight hope. 

Terrance nods his head, "Yes, you have a different point of view of those bodies than other people do. And that's one of the things that makes you an interesting person, your unique point of view." 

"Thanks," I say, feeling my cheeks warm up a bit, but I'm hoping that the blush wasn't showing. 

Patricia and Damien

I'm out grocery shopping today. I knew the time was coming, I just wanted to wait until my next paycheck to go shop, thankfully it arrived yesterday. And so I made a list of what I needed and made my way to the grocery store and began my shopping. 

I'm making my way through the sauce aisle, trying to look for marinara sauce. And I finally found one except it's up on the top shelf which I can barely reach. I groan at my situation, some days you wish you can be taller, as tall as a basketball player maybe. I stand on my tippy toes and try to reach for the marinara sauce. I'm barely reaching it though, no matter how high I'm reaching. 

But just before I'm about to fall back on my feet and give up, a black paw reaches up and grabs the marinara sauce. 

I fall back on my feet and look to see Damien standing behind me with the marinara sauce in his paw. 

"I believe you were reaching out for this," Damien says, handing me the sauce. 

I take the sauce from him and place it in my shopping cart. "Thank you," I say to him. 

Damien nods and walks beside me as I move on to the next aisle. "Although, I am a little hurt though." 

I raise my brow in confusion. "Why?" I ask him. 

"Because you were reaching out for some marinara sauce when I thought you should be reaching out to me," Damien jokes with a smug grin on his mouth. 

I roll my eyes at his joke but I did smile a little. 

"Is that a smile I see?" Damien questions, pointing at my face. 

I try to wipe away the smile and gently smack his hand away. "No." I deny it.

Damien grins and chuckles at my actions. "Yeah it is, I saw that." 

My smile grows a little more and I gave in. "Alright so maybe it is." 

"It's a beautiful smile by the way," Damien compliments, "you should show it more often."

My smile drops and I stare at Damien, feeling stunned by his compliment. No one has ever complimented me for a long time. 

Linda and Isaac

I cannot believe it! Some duche head sent me a video of him shoving some poor defenseless kid in a locker! And he thinks it's funny! 

I sent him a text telling him that his video was far from funny and that it will not be presented on my show. And I also texted him to go and shove his head down the toilet. 

I sigh in anger and run my hands through my blue hair. "I can't believe the nerve of some people," I mutter. 

"What's wrong?" I turn and see Isaac walking to me with a look of concern on his sweet face. 

I tell him, "Some bully decided to send me a video of him pushing some poor guy into a locker, thinking it was funny enough for me to star on my show." 

Isaac has a look of disbelief. "How can anyone find that funny?" He questioned. 

"Him apparently!" I shout and start pacing around. "This guy has a sick sense of humor. And I hate those kinds of humor. My humor is the kind that finds a chimpanzee mooning a police officer funny." 

Isaac starts laughing. "Yeah, that would be pretty funny."

I forget about my anger and start laughing too. "Yeah, it would be." 

We both laugh till we finally calm down and take deep breaths. "You have a really neat sense of humor," Isaac says. 

I look up at him, feeling warmth in my heart. "Really?" I ask. 

Isaac nods his head. "Yeah, your humor is what makes you an amazing woman." 

I blush at the compliment. No one has really complimented me about my humor before. 

I look back at Isaac, smile at him, and say, "Thank you."

Isaac smiles too but a red blush appears on his feather cheeks and he nervously chuckles.