Saving him from despair

There was a familiar yet foreign feeling festering in my tummy as he told me something - something that he probably only revealed to me.

He recently got into an accident, that left a leg of his horribly damaged.

He was in despair.

I desperately wanted him to feel better, he was one of my closest friends after all. So I made trips to the hospital almost everyday, hoping that he'll feel better with the company. To my joy, he did, bit by bit.

One day as I was at his ward chatting to him as usual, he told me he wanted to tell me something - everything he felt the past few days to lift the pain off his chest. Patiently I stayed by his side and listened as he narrated his overwhelming feelings, hurt that was way too much for him to control.

He ended off by saying that he was thankful for someone. Someone who reached out to him as he was drowning in the pit of despair. With a smile I had never seen before, he told me that the person was an angel.

For a brief moment, I thought that person was me.

However when I asked about the identity of this mysterious angel, he outright denied it being me.

It was fine. Giving him a teasing smile, I told him to tell me if they ever got together. That was what a friend would do.

But I wonder what is this sinking feeling.