lonely pt.5

He knocks on my door. Repeatedly, in a hurried fashion. "Mr Lector, I know you are there!"

He calls my name in his rich voice, slightly hoarse from his persistence. With his insistent knocking, neither the lovely tune of Beethoven's Moolight Sonata nor the soothing crackle of the fireplace could be heard. It disturbs me.

Soon, I find myself heading closer and closer to the main door, till I am just inches away from opening it. "Will you forgive me?" I hear his plead through the door; his voice soft and sorrowful.

I turn and leave.

After what seems like forever, the knocking ceases, leaving me and the house in peace.

I exit the study room, strolling to the kitchen for a glass of water. The fireplace is relit and Moonlight Sonata rewound, miraculously.

"Mr Peterson, you seem to have a horrible habit of breaking into others' private property."

"Well, I figured you wouldn't open the door for me so I had to use some more illegal methods."

I ignored him, getting a glass from the kitchen rack.

"Mr Lector, why didn't you kill me?"

"..."

Getting no answer, he continues, "Imagine killing me then having me as one of your exotic dishes on your dinner plate. I'm well-fed, I exercise... Wouldn't my meat taste succulent, wonderful?"

"Would you have liked me to kill you then?"

"Don't mistake it. I'm pretty happy to be alive. I am just wondering why you spared me from your frying pan."

"Whatever I was thinking then, I regret now." I sigh, picking a few crackers from the biscuit tin.

"Eat this and go."

"You are pretty confident I won't report you to the police."

"If you wanted to, you would have done that ages ago."

"Damn, you got me..."

We lapse into silence. Air filled with only the calming music and his biting of crackers.

"Mr Lector, will you forgive me?" He asks once again as he finishes his crackers.

"No."