5

"i wondered if things were ever going to change."
;

SPENCER AND Hazel walked side by side in the parking lot outside of the BAU. The genius twirled around the car keys in his index finger as they walked in comfortable silence. "This is my car." He introduced her to the (quite embarrassingly) old bug-kinda looking vehicle. A smile grew on Hazel's face at how it fit the man so well. It was quite quirky and cute, like him.

"I love it." She said, excitedly running to the passenger's seat. Spencer climbed into the driver's seat soon after. The man started rambling about how the radio never worked and why, until he was rudely interrupted by a ringing in his blazer's pocket. Spencer dug into the fabric, drawing out his phone and holding it up to his ear.

"Are you on speaker?" Hotch's voice barked from the other end.

"No, I'm not. What's wrong?" Spencer asked, side-eyeing Hazel who was staring out the car window.

"They just found a gun and clothing with blood on it in Hazel's private safe."

Spencer froze, his heart completely stopping as a sick feeling came to his stomach. "That-that's impossible, Hotch." No. That definitely isn't right.

"Is she with you? You need to arrest her." Hotch ordered. "Now. Follow protocol. That's an order, Spencer."

Before Spencer could argue any further, Hotch hung up on him, leaving the man completely speechless. He wasn't even breathing, completely stone with shock. There was no way, he kept telling himself.

He didn't know who to believe. The clear evidence that implicated itself in the investigation just now, or Hazel, who, in the span of one day, crept deep into the maze of his heart. Another feeling was heart-aching betrayal. Spencer Reid knew for sure now, that the Becketts were deeply involved with this murder, directly or not.

Reid didn't know what to do. He stayed frozen, the doctor's hand that was holding his own phone limply dropping to his lap. Spencer gulped. So many emotions were running through him at once—doubt, hurt, anger—the list went on.

His emotions were blinding him this entire time. Spencer hadn't even considered the fact that Hazel was an obvious suspect. He couldn't let those emotions get in the way anymore. Spencer couldn't risk any lives, no matter now doubtful he was about this whole situation.

"Spencer?" Hazel asked, looking over with concerned eyes. Those eyes. Dark brown and swimming with acceptance. Of him. She was really stunning, and he was only starting to treasure her beauty now, because she was going to loath him after what he was about to do.

Spencer slowly inhaled, counting to three in his head and shutting out all the emotions—a technique his therapist told him to use under stressful situations. Hazel saw any compassion from before in his eyes, fade away.

"What's wrong?" She asked, suddenly confused at his sudden change in behavior.

"Get out of the car." Spencer ordered, making Hazel flinch at the hardness in his voice—something she hadn't heard from him until now.

"Spencer, what's going on—"

"Get out. Please." Spencer said, opening his door and stepping out. Hazel quickly followed, her feet landing on the black concrete.

Spencer strode over to her side, and the girl fought the extreme urge to step back. She was scared, of him, she now realized. "You're scaring me."