14

"i'm done. i've been done, so what's wrong with you?"
;

SPENCER REID found himself standing in front of Hazel Beckett's front door at 11 pm, where the sky above him was pitch black and completely empty of any stars. He shifted the pot he was holding from his left hand to his right, anxiously waiting for the girl to open her door. And maybe slap him in the face. Who knows.

He got her a goddamn cactus for godsakes. Spencer Reid could've chosen a beautiful bouquet of flowers for the equally beautiful girl, but instead decided to bring her a prickly little monster standing inside of the tiny ceramic pot he was holding onto.

Cactuses were 100% better than flowers, though. Flowers died after a period of two weeks a max, while cacti could live up to 10-200 whole years. For all he knew, Hazel could die and this cactus would still be living. And to Spencer, nothing was more romantic than that.

As Spencer prepared to tell Hazel how his love for her represented that of this succulent's lifespan, the door to her abnormally large home swung open, revealing a man who was anything but familiar to him.

"Who are you?" He asked, voice low with authority.

"Is-uh-is Hazel here?" Spencer asked, trying to look pass the man blocking the doorway for the brunette. Maybe he had the wrong home.

"No, I think you got the wrong house, man." The dark haired man replied skeptically, about to close the door when a high pitched voice came from inside the house.

"Spencer?"

Spencer smiled as he saw Hazel at the stairs, apprehensively walking down to the door. The girl had her hair down, completely soaked and wearing a robe around her body. He suddenly felt embarrassed for visiting her so late at night.

"I know him, it's okay Chase." Hazel said, the skeptical expression on the man's face fading, as he turned to Spencer with a nod, leaving and making Spencer question who exactly he was and why he had acted so possessive. Was it her boyfriend? Did she have a boyfriend? He got nervous all the sudden.

"Hi." She said skeptically, stepping in the doorway in front of Spencer.

"Hey." Spencer said, lightly smiling with a blush on his face. He suddenly forgot everything he was going to say to the girl, frozen by her natural beauty. The man felt like a teenage boy fawning over his crush again, and the thought mortified him, quite frankly.

"What are you doing here? It's late." Hazel asked, raising her eyebrow at him. She had forgotten that she was supposed to be mad at him for earlier.

"I-uh-I just wanted to say sorry. About earlier. And about everything." Spencer said, in a choppy manner that hinted to Hazel that he was nervous.

"So, you got me a cactus?" She asked, trying to stay a little mad at him still, regardless of how cute he was. But she couldn't bite back the smile forming on her face, and the butterflies in her stomach.

He nodded. "I thought you'd like it. I mean, if you don't then I'll gladly take it back even though—"

"No! No, I like it." Hazel said quickly, grabbing the little pot from his hands and smiling down at it like the plant was a child. "I actually love cactuses, how'd you know?"

He shrugged. "Lucky guess. I was scared you would rather have flowers, but I'm glad now."

"This is really thoughtful. Thank you, Spencer." Hazel said, almost in a shy manner that he caught. Her cheeks were dusted with that pretty natural blush Spencer really liked.

"You're welcome. I really am sorry for upsetting you. I shouldn't have lied, it was completely my fault—"

"No, Spencer. It's okay, really. I've just been a little stressed out recently so I freaked out. I didn't mean to be rude." Hazel suddenly felt guilty that Spencer went out of his way just to apologize her. The amount of kindness in this man was unbelievable.