19

"i don't understand what i did to deserve this."
;

HAZEL BECKETT stormed into the steps of her old home, throwing the door open after unlocking it.

Hazel had been watching TV at home when she saw that mother had been arrested by the FBI. Seeing Kinsley Beckett, her own mother, handcuffed and moving into a courthouse wasn't exactly something Hazel thought was normal everyday activity.

The news channel didn't go into enough detail, so Hazel thought she'd go and finally get answers herself, because no one was going to tell her voluntarily. She was completely furious realizing that no one actually trusted her, or cared enough to enlighten her about these kinds of things.

Hazel stopped, seeing an unfamiliar woman around her age walk down the marble stairs, adjusting her wrinkly dress shirt and the buttons on it. Her blonde hair was all messy and tangled.

The youngest Beckett stopped, her boots squeaking on the hard floor as she stared at the girl reaching the same ground Hazel was standing on.

A smirk made its way up to the woman's face as she looked Hazel up and down with a dismissive attitude that made the brunette grit her teeth. She walked past Hazel and the young actress spun around, watching blondie waltz out of the front door. Her front door.

Hazel immediately took off, running up the stairs and throwing open her mother and father's bedroom door, horrified to see her father standing there fixing up the sleeves of his dress shirt, which was also wrinkly.

The first thought in her mind was that her father just had sex with that woman.

"Dad?!" Hazel yelled, as her father's head snapped up to her direction. His eyes widened. "What the fuck?"

"Hazel, what are you doing here?" Ryan Beckett asked, praying to god that his daughter didn't see Kadence Hornet leave his home moments ago.

"Who was that?!" She yelled, clenching her fists in disgust. What was wrong with her family?

"It was my coworker. She was just getting some paperwork from me." Ryan said calmly, attempting to reduce the anxiety of his only daughter.

"You-you're—" Hazel cried out in anger, frustration, and everything else she'd been bottling up for this past week. "You're just like mom, aren't you?!"

"Hazel, you know that I'm not—"

"You just slept with that woman that I saw leaving the house, didn't you?!" Hazel yelled. "Dad, she's the same fucking age as me, don't you realize how fucked up that is?! Are you kidding me?!"

"Hazel!" Her father yelled, silencing the girl. "I did not sleep with that woman. If you want to know, she had to run all the way from the office to here to get the paperwork. And I was changing when you came."

Hazel paused, thinking about how exactly probable his story was. Now that she thought about it, she didn't see an extra car parked in front of the house. "I-I don't know who to believe, Dad!"

"Hazel, I'm sorry honey." Her dad said, walking to her and placing a hand on the side of her head. "These past few months have made you a little paranoid, haven't they?" He chuckled.

The woman stepped back, avoiding her father's touch. "Because no one tells me anything. Mom was cheating on you this whole time and you didn't even bother telling me! And-and now she's been arrested!!! Why?!"

Ryan Beckett's face softened in fake concern for how upset his daughter was. "I'm sorry, Hazel. It was only for the best. I-I was planning on telling you, but I knew your job was getting busy. I didn't want to get in the way."