35

"somethings scare me more than others. you have to understand that."

;

   "HAZEL, WE'RE not done yet." Spencer cooed playfully, shuffling closer to her as he gazed at the woman with intense eyes. Hazel blushed furiously at the look on in his face, immediately diverting her eyes. "What about you?" He asked, drawing in a slow breath.

"Cuddle with me and I'll tell you." Hazel murmured lazily, accepting his hold when Spencer slid his arms around her waist, underneath her shirt once more, scooting close as she rested her head against his chest, listening to the man's racing heart. His cold fingers slowly squeezed her side, wrapped tightly around them. The girl let out a shaky breath at his ice cold touch.

"One." Hazel said, chewing on her lips awkwardly. "One man."

"How many?" He asked curiously, his voice almost sounding bitter.

"I can't really count." She said with a strained chuckle, her tone laced with regret. Hazel's felt her teeth clamp down on her tongue, the hurt she had repressed years ago seeping back to her veins.

"Really?" Spencer asked, his voice low as a complicated feeling crawled into his own stomach. "What happened? If-If you don't mind."

"That was the reason." Hazel said, referring to the fact she couldn't count the number on both hands. "He didn't actually love me."

"I'm sorry." Spencer said quietly, not knowing how to respond. His grip around her only tightened, indicating the protectiveness that ignited in him.

"Eye for an eye." Hazel murmured into him.

"She...didn't like that I was gone all the time. Because of, you know, the job." Spencer said, but the hurt the man felt because his ex was long gone in the wind now. He shifted, looking down at Hazel, the only woman that really mattered to him now. Other than his mother, of course.

"I see." Hazel said, her eyebrows dipping in thought. The reason didn't surprise her any bit. "I think it's worth it though, Spencer. You're...worth it." She said, looking at him.

"You think so?" Spencer asked, his heart melting into a puddle at her words. Words that he wouldn't need an eidetic memory to remember forever. She knew exactly what to say. Always. And it felt more genuine than anything else. For once, it felt like he could stop worrying about the job and how it affected his relationships. He felt...loved. So loved, in fact.

Hazel nodded, burying her face into his chest. She was about half asleep now, not having enough energy to continue the conversation. "Glad...we got that...out of the way..." The woman mumbled lazily, smiling softly when she felt Spencer's hand run up and down her bare back.

"Goodnight, pretty girl." He pressed a soft kiss to her forehead, pulling back to admire her for a moment before closing his own eyes, drifting to sleep with the feeling of Hazel in his arms.

"Hazel, I'm running to the store to get you some medicine. Are you okay by yourself?" Spencer asked with concern, throwing on a hoodie as he peered down at the weak girl on their bed. He immediately frowned, reaching down and placing his hand on her forehead.

Hazel had somehow caught a cold in the middle of the night, waking up with an intense fever and violently coughing nonstop.