8

"i'm not foolish enough to get hurt over and over again."
;

SPENCER READ silently as Hazel showered. He flipped quickly through the pages of The Narrative of John Smith, stopping when he heard the shower turn off. He looked at the time; it was 6:48pm and the man figured Hazel must've been hungry as he was. But Spencer had no idea what she liked to eat and what she didn't. It didn't help that he was a bad cook also—Spencer would rather starve himself and her than make Hazel eat his food.

He couldn't believe that he was put in this situation. That Hotch was putting him through this awkward situation.

Hazel exited the bathroom, her hair wet and dripping, a pet peeve of Spencer's. He didn't say anything, watching the girl dressed comfortably in a white shirt and shorts.

He couldn't help but feel distrustful about the young Beckett now. Everyone seemed to trust the girl, but Spencer was still wary. Maybe it was because he knew she didn't trust him anymore, which made him want to only think of her negatively; to even the playing field.

"What do you want to eat?" Spencer asked quietly, as she made it to the living area, crouching down and pulling out a hairbrush from her luggage.

"I'm not eating." She said quietly, not making eye contact. Regardless of her grumbling stomach, Hazel didn't have an appetite.

"We kept you in the interrogation room the whole day without food. You must be hungry." He retorted.

"Yeah, and you're the one who put me in there in the first place." She said bitterly. She was still angry at him.

Spencer looked at her in disbelief. She was being so incredibly stubborn, not even sparing a thought about Spencer's own feelings. He realized that this is how spoiled kids acted like. "Quit being a brat, will you? I already told you that I had no choice. You acted like I ruined your life!"

Hazel stood up, now facing him with a piercing glare. Her knuckles were white from clutching onto the hairbrush as Spencer scanned her, realizing how skinny the girl actually was. Her long legs held zero fat, along with her tensed up arms. He furrowed his eyebrows. Did this girl not eat?

"Oh shut up." She said irritatedly. "You didn't even bother explaining to me why you were arresting me! An explanation would've been nice! You treated me like I was-some kind of animal!"

"I wasn't trying to!" Spencer stood up, throwing his arms in the air in frustration. "I was doing my job, Hazel. And-I-I was just upset because I thought that you were fooling me the whole time—"

"—then you really don't know me, Spencer!" She exhaled, crouching down to shove the hairbrush back into her suitcase, leaving her wet hair a tangly mess.

"I don't." Spencer said quietly. "I know I don't know anything about you. It's only been a day, how do you expect me to trust you so easily?"

"Because I never did anything to you." Hazel mumbled in a hurt tone. She wasn't used to being treated so wearily by someone else. Because of her parents, Hazel was respected wherever she went.

She was being a spoiled brat, wasn't she?

"You put too much faith in me." Spencer said. "I know I let you down, and I'm sorry. I can't trust everyone with this job I have, Hazel. I've risked so much just to let just anyone in. I can't do that."

Hazel crossed her arms vulnerably, looking at the wood floor as she saw Spencer come closer in her peripheral vision. "I-I respect that."

"Hey. I'm sorry, okay?" She saw his mismatched socks in front of her bare-feet, knowing he was directly in front of her now.