16

"i'm tired of feeling tired all the time."
;

SPENCER LOOKED down at Hazel, who had made herself comfortable, leaning her head on his shoulder as his own arm wound itself around her waist. The two shared a small blanket, with Spencer's mismatched-sock-covered-feet peeking out from under it.

It'd been a week since Spencer started coming over almost everyday, sometimes extremely late at night due to the cases that took him out of the state. Spending time with Hazel was about as equivalent to drinking coffee to him—very much necessary or he might just die. Spencer was proud at himself, to say the very least, at the amount of progress he was making on his little journey to her heart.

He hadn't felt this good about himself for a long time.

"I wouldn't mind doing this more often." Spencer muttered, leaning his head back onto the sofa as his eyes went back to the television, which played a quite terribly-acted horror movie that neither of the two were interested in at all. They were more interested in each other's presence to care.

Spencer's blazer was off now, along with his tie that was laying on the other couch. He unbuttoned the first two buttons on his dress shirt, giving the man an even more attractive "casual office" look that made Hazel drool on the sidelines.

"You're getting way too comfortable." Hazel said, flashing him a teasing smile while nodding at his feet. "Didn't we just meet each other again this week?"

"Yeah. Is there a problem with that?" He asked, gaze shifting to her face. "I haven't been making you uncomfortable, have I?" Spencer's awkwardness came flooding back for a moment, his self-deprecating thoughts taking over before she could even speak.

"No, of course not." Hazel said, almost defensively, burying her face in his neck as an attempt to ease him. "Why do you doubt yourself so much, Spencer?"

"I try not to. Actually, I've been getting a lot better." Spencer said, letting out a low breath to release the tension in his neck, caused by the feeling of her soft lips on his own skin. He pursed his lips together, eyebrows furrowed as he tried to focus on the movie instead of the things she was doing to him.

"Have you ever had your heart broken?" Hazel asked, trying to understand the insecurity that matched her own.

"Yeah. Who hasn't?"

"Who was the girl?"

Spencer paused. "There wasn't one. Heartbreak isn't just caused by broken romantic relationships. Actually—" he inhaled again when he felt her lips formed a smile, "—the most painful heartbreaks are from your asexual relationships. Like your friends, or your...family." Spencer said, thinking of his father who left him so early, and his mother who started to not recognize him as of two months ago.

"I see." She said, shifting her head to the side so she could actually breathe. Spencer relaxed as the sensation left. "So it was your family?"

"Yeah, it was." Spencer said, looking down at her, trying to examine her expression. "What about you?"

"Opposite of you." She muttered, thinking back to her adolescent days. Hazel was still a closeted child, but she had connections with her father's friends' children. "The rich ones are always the jerks."