MTVG11☆

Ummita's Point of view

I sit down thinking how those house helps tricked me. I burnt myself multiple times for those...people.  It shall not be well with them. 

I look at Ibrahim who is talking on the phone, pacing to and fro. "Okay, just come over." Ibrahim says before hanging up. Our eyes met as I look away.

"What is it?" He asks sitting beside me. "Nothing, just feel so stupid. They tricked me, I hope they pay." I narrow my eyes and he smiles.

"You seem pissed, you are allowed to." Ibrahim says. "You wouldn't understand, I really feel dumb." I pout. "I do because my wife was the one tricked." He says as I look at him.

"Oh, really? It is now when I don't like you anymore." I say and his eyes widened. "When did you move on?" He asks. "Um, I am a person that moves on fast. I don't waste time."

I roll my eyes when he laughs. "You're funny." He laughs while I look at him, confused.

"I'm serious,  I know I told you yesterday but I have. I zeroed my mind so than to be dwelling on that,  I rather move on." I honestly confess.

"Wow, you surprise me everyday. Is everyone in your village like this?" He looks at me amazed. "No, I'm different." I look at him as his facial expression changed.

"What?" I ask. "Nothing,  I just remembered something." He says when the door opened. It's his sister, she looked really beautiful. She smiles at me, walking into the parlor.

"Ya kike?" She asks. "Lafiya, how's life treating you?" I ask her as she sat down beside me. "Okay, Ina wuni Yaya." She says. "Lafiya so now you two can hang out. I need to go out. I'll be back soon." He says walking out but I don't really care.

"So, how is the marriage going so far?" She asks but I just shrug. "Not bad." I reply and she looks around before tugging me by the arm, taking me to my room.

"Yes, which clothes did you wear that night?" She asks excitedly while my scratch my head. "A wrapper, what can I possibly wear if not it. There were only strings on those clothes. I am not a prostitute." I look away as his sister opened the suitcases.

"Okay but I have to ask how your night was?" She looks at me raising her brows.  "Why are you looking at me that way? What happened that night?"

I ask and she looks at me, narrowing her eyes. "You haven't slept with him?' She asks and I take a deep breath.

"What do you mean by that exactly?" I ask. "Da aka kawo ki, Abu da yakamata ya faru ya faru? - When you were brought here, the action that was supposed to happen, did it happen?"

She says in Hausa. "No." I look away a bit embarrassef but she just nodded. "How about you wear......this. It is hot nowadays and it is the least revealing."

His sister says handing It to me. It was the least revealing compared to the rest.

It is a half shirt with a trouser that reached my hip, showing my thigh.

I look at her while she looked at me excitedly. "Promise that you would wear it?' She says. "You know I don't know that word?"

I remind her. "Alkawari ne- it is a promise." She says in a language I would understand

"I don't know wallahi." I keep the clothes beside me. "Please, I am begging you." She says holding my hand and shaking it.

"What are you doing? Please stop, I will do it. Now tell me how to wear this rope well." I say. "The strap, he will show you. It is something normal." She answers and I nod.

I sit down, watching a Hausa movie. I understand it but it is too cliché. Must it all be about love, money or songs I switch it off and walk out of the house as Bello came out of his room,

"Ummie, how are you?" Bello asks removing his cap. "I'm fine,  how are you?" I ask looking around.

"Fine, Alhamdulillah. I'm even better since I've seen you."

He says and I furrow my eyebrows. "Thanks you. I can't believe he still isn't back." I mutter. "He went out,since since." He replies smiling widely.

"Oh yeah,  his car isn't around. The house is boring." I sit on the stairs.

"I am here to entertain you." He adds a step closer to me. "Thanks you." I sigh.

I place my legs on the chair,  trying to enjoy my sitting position when the door opened.

I turned to see who it is while I played with a ball.

I see a man walk in with Ibrahim. They broke into laughter. The other one had a deep voice.

I sit up before they could see me sitting like that. I stand up, smiling at them.

"Sannu." I say to them as they look at me. The other guy smiled back at me.

"Sannu, you be be our new wife." He says and Ibrahim sits down. "Jabir, calm down. It is no our."

Ibrahim says while jabir sat down.

I just smile, walking out of the parlor. I go to the kitchen, i pick out the tray and placed nylon water with rubber cups.

I was about to leave when a woman stopped me. 'I'm sorry ma'am but I don't think you can take that to them."

The woman is around her mid-fortys. "But why not?" I ask furrowing my eyebrows.

"It is not nice and Mr Ibrahim would not like it. I'll bring it over for you." She volunteers.

"But..". I hesitate but she  shuts me up.  "I will take care of that, I'll bring it over or your husband would fire me."

She says and I nod. I adjust my veil before going back to Ibrahim. I sit down on the chair beside Mohammed.

I play with my fingers. "So how are you? I heard a lot about you." Jabir says as I look up at him.

"I am fine." I reply to him, the best way I could. "Okay, how's Ibrahim treating you? He's incompetent, right?"

Jabir says before laughing at Ibrahim and Ibrahim throws a pillow at him.

I look at both of them. Why are they laughing? What did he say that is funny? Maybe the word 'inmomvecent' is funny.

"What is the mean of that word?" I ask and jabir looks back at me. He takes a deep breath like he was thinking. "Useless, Ibrahim is the definition.' He says.

I don't even know what it means. The chief brought the food that she was supposed to bring.

They ate while I ate upstairs alone. They finished talking and Ibrahim escorted jabir out.

I take in a deep breath before sitting down on my bed. Is this how my life will turn out?

Well, I prefer to stay here than to face embarrassment in our village. I'll make it worse for my parents.

I shake my head, trying to forget those thoughts.

Vote
Comment
Follow