FOURTEEN

Monique's POV

Rosella and I monitored the guards for three weeks and I never been so happy to be stuck in my bed room. I know now when the guards change schedules and what time their guard is down (ironic).

She almost got caught about twice but Rosella always have an excuse with her and her reasons are insanely convincing, adding up her good acting.

I drew circles in the castle map, indicating the guarded corners of the castle. They were everywhere and I didn't know until a day ago that my bed room door was heavily guarded.

"Like I'm going through there." I exclaimed and Rosella laughed at my remark. Yes, I am going to go through the balcony and the only way I can go down is the same way Rapunzel and her prince did.

Tie the blankets' ends.

We did it for two days using twenty blankets. Of course, we hid it under my bed the second day. They didn't find anything suspicious, just a stupid princess reading another stupid book. We went back on it when they were gone.

We planned my escape tomorrow night and I've never been as determined as back then. This wasn't just for Mark or for Jisung, but it's importantly for me. I don't want to suffer anymore. I've had enough and it has to stop.

Rosella also showed me her act when her and the guards would enter my room and learn that I was gone. It went like, "Good grief! The princess is gone! Oh, no!" Rosella blabbered more and I was honestly impressed by it.

"Is it alright?" She asked after she was done. I nodded, completely approving of her act. Rosella and I were so ready for my escape tomorrow night.

"I hope we won't fail this time." I murmured. "No, princess, I hope you won't fail this time." She smiled softly at me. "Thank you, and I hope so. I know there's so much out there." I said, gazing at the horizon and looking at the view.

She patted my hand. "Don't worry, princess. Let's have faith."

•••

The next day sweeped me up like the wind on a leaf. The blanket was perfectly hidden under my bed and I pretended that I was reading a book again. The guards left, leaving Rosella and I alone.

"Today is the day, princess." She sighed, both excited and sad. "Don't feel bad, Ro. We already made advanced researches and I know we would be successful." She nodded and replied with a determined and more stern voice. "Alright, but I will still not let my guard down."

"You can keep that up." I replied.

I studied my plan the whole day and made sure the guards are on their rightful places, just what Rosella and I have observed. Afternoon faded into night and it was a quiet evening.

Rosella checked the hallways before entering inside to send me dinner and to help me. I tied my hair using a ribbon that I kept in my drawer. She helped me pull out the long line of tied blankets and tied the first end to a rail.

I checked below the balcony if it was guarded and saw a guard walking to their quarters. When I made sure he was out of sight, I immediately threw the other end down the balcony and climbed started to climb down.

I gave Rosella a look. "Pull up the blanket and let it fall down in the morning." She nodded and I heaved a deep sigh before letting myself slide down the series of soft silk.

My feet touched the soft, green ground and pulled away from my chain of blankets. I looked up to Rosella in the balcony and she pulled back the blankets. She waved goodbye at me and I ran towards the shortcut to the gates.

I studied the map well so I know where to go. I was now near the castle entrance and saw a guard walking to the opposite direction to change schedules with another guard. When he was gone, I ran quietly out of the arc of the castle entrance and the small houses greeted me.

I looked back at the castle and turned my back on it again then ran away. The way I ran was so quiet no one must have heard me running through the small, dusty streets. Small rocks stabbed my feet but I didn't care anymore. I was too determined to get out of Crescent.

I was now near the gate, a few feet away from it and I stopped running then started to walk. My right foot stepped on the bridge and I trudged to check on the small guard house near the kingdom gates.

I peeked into it and saw the huge knight guard who caught me weeks ago sleeping noisily, comfortably tucked under a dirty brown blanket and on his worn out one-man chair. Rosella wasn't wrong about this one.

I tiptoed through the house and I nearly jumped when he suddenly snored loudly. I took a short glance at him and he was still asleep. I looked ahead of me and saw the dark woods. It seemed unwelcoming, but I think so otherwise.

I walked past the bridge and I held my breath as my feet touched the ground of the outskirts of the kingdom.

I was outside.

I was free. Finally free.

I wanted to look back, but only bad memories remained in there. The only joy there was having a friend like Rosella, and I will miss her.. so much. But there's no turning back now.

I tried to get away from the kingdom as far as possible even though the woods was pitch black dark and I can't see a thing. Wild animals doesn't scare me because I was so overjoyed by the fact that I was finally free.

I looked up at the night sky as I walked further and deeper into the woods. The stars twinkled comfortingly, letting me know they'll guide me through the night. A small speck of star winked. I smiled.

I did it, Mark. I did it.

I returned my gaze on the path.

Here's to the new me.

•••

A/N:
don't forget to vote and comment!

-DONGHYUQUE