EIGHTEEN

Monique's POV

I was still shivering like crazy but I feel something on me. I opened an eye and saw a blanket on top of me. The door was open and there was Haechan on the doorway, arms folded.

"Good morning, princess." He said and I gave him a glare. "Don't call me that. I am not one anymore." I scowled.

I heard a bark and then Elyas came running inside the bed room. He jumped on the bed and Haechan tried to pull him down. "El, down, down. Monique is tired, down." He commanded and the dog did as he was told.

"Uh, sorry for that." I shrugged. "I don't mind if he bites me to death." Elyas whimpered and he skittered out of the bed room. "You made him feel bad about himself."

"Not my fault I wanted to die." I can feel Haechan's gaze on me and I clutched the blanket closer. "You have a fever." He said matter-of-factly. "I want to die, that's why."

I heard him sigh and he left the room. After a few minutes, he returned with a bowl filled with hot water and a towel. He dipped the towel on the water then squeezed it to let the water out.

He placed it on my forehead while he slid the bowl on the floor beside the bed. "Elyas will keep you company. I'll try to ask Goldie for some medicine." He said and stood up.

His dog came in without barking. He turned around and he sat across me on the floor, catching his breath. Haechan told me he'll be back before long. I didn't reply. I felt too cold to move an inch.

Elyas saw me still shivering and he went up to me. He snuggled himself around my arms and he felt warm. This dog is smart. I stroked his fur and he suddenly whimpered.

I don't understand dogs since I never had one but maybe he was worried about something.. maybe me.

Haechan later came back and Elyas hopped off the bed. I slowly sat down the bed and Haechan gave me a medicine and a glass of water. "Drink that." He softly said.

I did as I was told and drank the medicine down. "The medicine would also heal the wounds on your back, on your legs and feet and.." He gulped and looked away. "Between your thighs."

I put the blanket over my thighs. "What do you mean?" He looked at me. "You know what I'm talking about, princess." He said the last word through gritted teeth.

"Don't make me remember it." I snapped. The cat got my tongue when he glared back. He can change from Good to Evil real quick. "Watch your mouth."

I zipped my mouth shut and he stood up. "You can't take a bath yet because of your injuries and because you are sick. Elyas and I will be in the nearby river." He said and whistled for Elyas to follow him.

I removed the blanket from my thigh and saw scars between them. From those nights. Those awful nights. I shook my head and removed the thought.

I was better off dead. Haechan should have just killed me.

I was not feeling hungry and I was too tired and sick to stand up so I was glued to the bed, sniffling and wrapping myself around the brown blanket. I heard footsteps outside and it indicated that Haechan has arrived.

He checked on me again and asked if I was feeling any better. I nodded. My head felt lighter and I have my strength back on my feet. "It was better if everything got worse and I died."

"Let me ask you," Haechan leveled his face with mine. "Why do you want to die so bad?" He asked. I laughed. I thought it was some joke but he sounded and looked serious. My laughter immediately vanished.

"I can take the cross bow from my weapon room anytime."

"Because I figured out I would cross the same path. Austerity and hate. I lost the three people that were my only friends.. in exchange of my freedom. There is no sense for me to live anymore. I feel empty and useless and.. I don't know anymore. I just want to sleep and never wake up, like I always say."

He stayed silent. Then he smiled. "I used to feel the same way, but we have always have our places in the world. We just don't see it yet. I saw mine and maybe you are still on the search for yours. You just don't look closely for it." He said.

"I tried for days and I ended up here with someone as mercurial as me. I hoped he at least granted my wish and killed me right on that chair where he tied me on." I sneered.

He leaned closer. "Evil does you no good." He stood up and walked outside. I rolled my eyes and exited the bed room, blanket still around me. I saw Haechan head inside a room I've never seen before.

I followed him but the door immediately closed. I puffed and went to the kitchen.

The knife laying on the table was tempting.

I stared at it for minutes then I decided to grab it then kill myself then and there. I faced the knife on my chest when Haechan pulled my arm, the one holding the knife. "I knew you were going to do that."

"Let me do it!" I whined and tried to get the knife from him. "You are insane!" He shouted.

"Look! I've experienced hell my whole life and a knife won't hurt me as much as my past did! I want to end my suffering, alright! Don't you understand?! I don't want to live anymore! I want to die, I don't want to feel anything! I don't want to be hurt further," I fell on my knees and cried.

"You don't know how it feels like to live my life. Every event was depressing enough." I mumbled and hugged the blanket close to me.

"Girls like you," Haechan started. "Vulnerable things," I peeked up at him and he smiled down at me. "You are fragile, Monique."

"Huh?"

"You endured years of suffering but your heart was still not strong," He kneeled and a sly smirk sweeped up on his lips.

"Interesting."

•••