THIRTY NINE

Monique's POV

His eyes widened and squinted then he took a step away from me. "How did you know?" He asked in a low voice. A smile replaced the frown on my lips. "It IS you! Oh, he would be so happy!"

He raised a brow. "Who?"

"Tootles! The other visitor, Haechan!" He did that thing with his eyes again. "I knew it. By the time I saw him, I knew he was so familiar. He's still alive after all." I slowly walked towards him but kept a good distance between us.

"You thought he was dead?" Doyoung nodded. "On our way down to Earth from Neverland, the umbrella he was using was already worn out and he fell. The rest of us thought he didn't survive the fall," He exhaled. "I'm so glad he's alive."

I put a hand on his shoulder. "Well, do you want to see him again?" He smiled sadly. "I don't know. It seems like I can't face him. What if he'll get angry at me that I don't know where the others are? Monique, I hope you understand. We've been separated for years. Some of us might have changed."

I held his hands. "I know that, but Haechan is a kind person, Doyoung. He kills criminals in different kingdoms and he doesn't ask any price in return for his good deeds. I didn't stay long enough with him but," I smiled as I mentioned him. "He's very kind-hearted. He'll be more than glad to see you well."

Doyoung smiled gratefully this time. "Thank you, Monique. Please tell him that I'm going to meet him here in the garden after dinner. Just mention me as the head gardener." I nodded. "Sure. Also, it was very nice meeting you, Doyoung. I hope we could chat again."

"Likewise, Monique. I should go now. See you!" He waved his hand and walked away from me. I smiled and headed back inside the palace, excited to tell Haechan the news about Doyoung.

"Did you enjoy your walk?" I raised my head and saw Haechan at the end of the staircase sipping somewhat tea. I nodded and smiled cheekily. "You're suddenly so strange." He commented suspiciously.

I chuckled. "What? Of course not. I'm always strange." He nodded, agreeing. "Yeah, you're right." I rolled my eyes and took a step on the stair. "Oh, by the way, I bumped into the head gardener earlier. He wants to meet you near the fountain after dinner." I said.

He looked up at me. "What? Why?" I shrugged. "I don't know. He's not some grumpy old man. He's harmless, I promise." He gave me that look again. "Hmm, okay.." He looked unconvinced. I just rolled my eyes. "I didn't get to ask why, alright?"

"Yeah, whatever, I'm just going to believe you." I pursed my lips and put my hands on my hips. "So, you'll go later?" He gave me a smug look and said, "Nope", clearly emphasizing the 'p'.

"Hey, I promised the guy. I know I didn't get your permission but just this once. And if he ever harms you, you're a fighter so you're good." He sighed. "Okay, fine, I'll go. Only because you told me so, even though you're also very suspicious."

I grinned. "That's quite enough." I leaned down and placed a kiss on his soft hair before going to our room. I wanted to punch myself for doing such a thing. What is wrong with me? I've been acting weirder than before.

I went to the balcony and sat on the rail, looking down on the view. I noticed that the garden is just right below the balcony. I slapped myself lightly. No, I won't eavesdrop on their conversation. That's just not right.

For the nth time, I'm once again humming 'Once Upon a Dream' and everytime I do, I remember Haechan and I's reenacting earlier. I smiled and tapped my fingers to the slow beat in my head.

I suddenly felt a push behind my back and I grabbed on the pair of arms around my waist for dear life. I screamed because of it and the voice behind me just laughed hard. "You could have killed me!" I shouted at him.