Chapter 2

While they drove, Uncle Vernon complained endlessly to Aunt Petunia. Vernon loved to complain. He complained about anything and everything. This morning it was motorcycles. "... Roaring along like maniacs, the young hoodlums."
"I had a dream about a motorcycle." Harry said. "It was flying."
Anna knew right away that they were in for it. Uncle Vernon nearly crashed into the car in front of them. He turned in his seat to look at the twins, his face resembling a beet. "MOTORCYCLES DON'T FLY!!" He screamed, making Anna shrink back so much she nearly disappeared into the seat, causing Dudley and Piers to snicker.
"I know they don't." Harry protested. "It was only a dream."
Anna wished that Harry hadn't said anything. She hated when Uncle Vernon yelled; it usually resulted in her being slapped. They reached the zoo without further mishap. It was sunny, and the zoo was crowded with families. Vernon and Petunia even bought Harry and Anna lemon ices. Anna and Harry licked the treats as they looked at a gorilla.
"If it was blonde, it would look exactly like Dudley." Harry whispered to Anna, causing her to snigger. Harry and Anna had the best morning since Anna could remember. They ate lunch in the zoo restaurant and when Dudley had a tantrum because his dessert didn't have enough ice cream, Vernon bought him another one and allowed Anna and Harry to finish his first. But Anna should have known that it was too good to last. After lunch they went to the reptile house. It was cool and dark, with windows all along the walls. Behind the glass, lizards and snakes of all kinds slithered around. Anna wandered away from Harry, a rattlesnake catching her eye. She sighed. As bad as her life was, at least she wasn't kept in a cage, although the cupboard sure felt like that sometimes. Dudley was complaining about how a snake wasn't moving and Anna rolled her eyes. He had so much to be thankful for, and yet all he did was complain. Anna would give anything to trade lives with him, to have parents that loved her instead of an Aunt and Uncle who beat her whenever they got the chance. Multiple screams interrupted her train of thought, and she turned around, gasping as she saw a Python on the floor, slithering towards her. She froze and watched it with wide eyes as it moved towards the open door. She turned to look at Harry, and her jaw dropped as she saw Dudley behind one of the glass windows, looking absolutely terrified. It took everything she had not to laugh. One look at Uncle Vernon's face, however, and Anna knew that she wouldn't be laughing when they got home.

Uncle Vernon waited until Piers had gone home before starting in on them. He backhanded Anna with such force that she fell to the ground. She put a hand to her burning cheek, hot tears pouring down her face. Uncle Vernon was so angry that he almost couldn't speak. "Go- cupboard- stay- no meals."
"Come on." Harry murmured, gently helping Anna up, wrapping his arm around her. They went into the cupboard and Anna collapsed on the bed, sobbing. "W-why do they hate us so much?!" She sobbed as Harry enveloped her in a tight hug. "I don't know." he murmured as she cried into his shoulder. She cried so much that she eventually fell into an exhausted slumber.
"Don't worry." Harry murmured softly. "I'll always be here to keep you safe."