Chapter 18

Word quickly spread about the attempt on Anna's life, and speculations ran wild. Some people said that it was a rogue Death Eater, while still others said that it was a crazed student whose affections Anna had denied. Anna didn't pay much attention to the rumors, she was used to rumours by this point. Besides some of them were so far out there that she couldn't really believe that people believed that they were true. They were just looking for something to fill their mundane lives. She still had no idea who it had been that had tried to kill her. Dumbledore didn't tell her much, only that he suspected that it was an adult and not a student, which seemed to make the Death Eater idea more plausible.

"We need to figure this out." Hermione said one day at lunch. It was about a week until Easter break, which Anna and Cedric would be spending with Remus and Tonks. Cedric was surprisingly nervous about it, but Anna assured him that he would do great.

"It's kind of hard to figure it out when we don't even really have a starting point Mione." Anna pointed out as she bit into her sandwich. "I mean, we'll probably figure it out eventually, but it might take a while."

"Time is something that we might not have a lot of." Hermione replied. "Who knows when the next attempt on your life will be made. Next time they might succeed."

"Try not to worry about it." Anna advised. "I'm always with someone now, whether it's you or Ced or Harry." She'd hardly gotten a moment to herself, since one of them always insisted on following her everywhere. She got why they were so concerned, but sometimes she just really needed a break from people.

Draco was trying to spread a rumour of his own, that the attempt on Anna's life was falsified and she was just saying that someone had tried to kill her to get attention.

"Unlike you Malfoy, I'm not a drama queen that's in constant need of attention." Anna had retorted. "And for your information, you constantly threatening to tell your dad whenever someone doesn't agree with you is really starting to get old. I really don't want to have to listen to another three years of it."

Draco had turned a bright red and he hadn't said anything about her for quite a while after that, much to Anna's pleasure.

Finally Easter came around. Harry and Ron were staying at the castle, even though Anna had tried to get Harry to come home with her for the holidays.

"You go on." Harry insisted. "Ron's staying because his parents are going to be at some relative's place that he doesn't really like for Easter, so someone has to keep him out of trouble."

Cedric was stressing practically the entire train ride. Anna had never seen him this nervous about something before. "Ced love, just try and relax, you're going to be just fine."

"He could hate me." He said as he paced back and forth in the train carriage that they were sitting in. "Or worse, he could make you break up with me!"

"He isn't going to do that." Anna said soothingly, trying to calm him down. "He already told me that he approved in one of his letters." She wasn't lying either. Remus had admitted in one of his letters that he liked Cedric far more than Fred. Anna didn't tell Cedric this part though. It might have made her sound mean, but she found him squirming around about all of this entertaining, plus he was adorable when he was nervous.

When they finally reached King's Cross, Remus and Tonks were already waiting for them. Cedric gulped and he wiped his sweaty palm on his trousers before shaking Remus' hand. "Hello sir."

"Hello Cedric." Remus shook his hand firmly, giving him a gentle smile. "Anna has told me a lot about you. You've been friends for years correct?"

"Yes sir, ever since her first year."

"Tell me." Tonks said as she stared at Cedric. "What exactly are your intentions with Anna?"

"Tonks!" Anna groaned, hiding her face in her hands as Cedric looked at Tonks. "Intentions?"

"Yes. Do you plan to marry her eventually or are you just going to use her and break her heart like Weasley?"

"I would never break her heart." Cedric replied sincerely. "I love Anna with all of my heart, and if I were to do something that would break her heart, I can honestly say that it would crush me."

This answer seemed to satisfy Tonks somewhat, as she merely hummed and picked up Cody, stroking his fur as the Krup licked her face.

When they reached the cottage, Anna showed Cedric where he would be sleeping. "It's not big, definitely not as big as your room at your house-"

"It's great." Cedric insisted, looking much more at ease now that he knew that Remus liked him and Tonks at least tolerated him. He kissed her softly, his arms wrapping around her waist. "They do like me, don't they?"

"They do." Anna affirmed as her arms wrapped around his neck. She pecked his lips, having to stand on tiptoe to do so. "They like you, a lot more than Fred."

"Yeah, well Fred's an ass." He responded, causing Anna to laugh. "Yeah,I guess that he is."

Remus called them for dinner then, and Cedric held her hand as they walked out to the table. It wasn't anything special, just a ham and some roasted vegetables. Cedric announced it delicious, causing Tonks to blush at the compliment.

"So Cedric, what are you planning on doing after school?" Remus asked, and Cedric finished chewing before he responded.

"I'm planning on doing something with the Ministry. Maybe something in the Magical Law Inforcement Department. I understand that Anna wants to do something involving Magical Creatures."

Remus chuckled softly. "Honestly, it wouldn't surprise me if she became the Care of Magical Creatures professor some day."

"Teaching isn't really my thing." Anna replied with a shrug. "I want to help creatures, maybe hunt down poachers or something."

"I'm sure that there's some position at the Ministry like that." Cedric said. "My father could probably help you find something once you've graduated."

"You think so? That would be amazing if he did." Anna looked at Remus, who was grinning. "What's with the big smile?"

"I'm just realizing how different you are from your brother." Remus responded. "You seem to have your whole life planned out, and I don't think Harry's even considered what he's going to be doing next week, let alone when he gets out of school."

"Just because we're twins, it doesn't mean that I have to be a slacker like he is." Anna retorted, causing Tonks to laugh.

After dinner, Anna and Cedric went up to his room.

"That was a really good dinner." Cedric said, and Anna nodded."Yeah, Tonks is a good cook."

Cedric smiled as they sat on his bed, and he pulled her into his lap. "My dad said that you could come over a bit this summer if you wanted. Might be a good chance for you to talk to him more about the wholepoacher hunting thing."

"You're just looking for an excuse to see me." Anna said in a playfully accusatory tone, and Cedric winked cheekily. "What gave it away?"

"The fact that you practically just admitted it to me." Anna said with a giggle before laying her head on his shoulder. Cedric smiled softly as he started playing with her hair. "I meant what I said earlier. I'm never going to break your heart Anna. I love you too much to do that."

"I know." Anna replied quietly, placing her hand on his chest and drawing random shapes with her finger. "I know that you do, and I love you too."

Remus was watching their exchange from the doorway, and he smiled before retreating into the living room where Tonks was.

"They really do love each other." Tonks said, and Remus nodded. "They do. I don't think that Anna was ever like this with Fred, and I can tell that Cedric cares about her deeply. I'd give anything to have someone love me like that."

There was an awkward silence between the two before Remus cleared his throat. "It's getting late, I should get to bed." He scurried off to his room before the awkwardness between them could continue any further.

A/N: Thanks to @.Bebeporter on Quotev for the idea of Cedric coming over to Anna's for Easter