Chapter 17

About four weeks had passed. It was nearing the end of January, and just as Cedric had predicted, the majority of the school had let the werewolf thing go. While the occasional student still called her 'Wolfgirl' or 'mongrel', many more people were now quick to defend her. Katie Bell apologized to Anna. "I'm sorry. I don't know what we were thinking. You're still the same person that you've always been."
"It's alright." Anna assured her. "I understand. If I were in your place, I would have been scared of me too."
"That Malfoy is a prick for telling everyone."
"The entire Malfoy family is just made up of a bunch of pricks." Anna laughed as they sat down for breakfast. Owls came flying in with letters, including one for Anna from the Grangers.
'Dear Anna:
We don't really know how to explain this gently, so we're just going to be blunt. Professor Lupin told us about your condition, and he advised that you spend the summer holidays with him, and we both agreed with him. Anna, please understand that we still love you, and that we're only doing this because we care about you and we want you to be safe.
Love,
Mum and Dad'
Anna silently folded the letter back up, biting her lip. So they didn't want her back for the summer. It hurt, but Anna couldn't exactly blame them. After all, they lived right in the heart of London. If she were to forget to take the Wolfsbane, things could be disastrous.
"I'll see you in class." Anna mumbled to Harry. "I have to go and see Remus about something."
"Are you alright?" Harry asked worriedly, and Anna shook her head.
"Not really." She showed him the letter, and watched as his eyes scanned over the words on the paper.
"Oh Anna..." He said quietly. "God I'm sorry. But you know that they're only doing this to protect you, right? They're just doing this because they want you to be safe."
"I know." Anna said quietly. "But that doesn't make what they said hurt any less. I'll see you later."
Anna took the note from him and she folded it up, sticking it into her bag before making her way to the Defense Against the Dark Arts classroom. Remus looked up as she came in. "What's wrong?" He asked, immediately noticing her frown. Anna silently handed him the letter. "I guess that I'm spending the summer with you."
"You make that sound so terrible." He teased, trying to cheer her up as he read the letter.
"Well forgive me for not sounding so bright and cheery about them essentially giving me up."
Remus sighed. "Anna-"
"What, Remus?" She snapped. "You don't know what it's like. They're the first people who actually cared about me. Uncle Vernon didn't. Neither did Aunt Petunia. The Grangers made me feel loved-" Anna's voice cracked. "And now I don't have that anymore. Harry told me that they're just doing this to keep me safe, but I know the truth. They're scared of me, Remus! They aren't doing this to keep me safe, they're doing it to protect themselves and Hermione."
Remus' arms wrapped tightly around her as Anna began to cry.
"It's going to be alright." He murmured. "Anna, everything is going to be fine, I'm going to be here for you."
"They always leave!" Anna sobbed into his chest. "They always leave or don't care! Mom and Dad died, Aunt Petunia and Uncle Vernon never cared, and now the Grangers are leaving me!"
Remus rubbed her back, not exactly knowing how to comfort her. Suddenly Harry was there, and now he was the one comforting her.
"You'll always have me." He whispered into her ear. "I'm never going to leave you, Anna. That I can promise you."
"Take her to the common room." Remus murmured to Harry. "Take the morning off from classes, both of you. See if you can't calm her down."
Harry nodded and he kept an arm wrapped around her as they made their way to the Gryffindor common room, sitting on the couch. Anna sniffled as she leaned into him, and he kept her in a tight, yet gentle hug.
"Everything is gonna be fine." He murmured. "I promise."
Anna looked at him, her eyes filled with tears that were not yet shed. "How do you know?"
"I'm Harry Potter, I know everything."
The fake cockiness that filled his voice caused Anna to laugh. "I didn't know that you were a Seer."
"I'm full of surprises."
"You're full of something, but it's definitely not surprises."
"Hey!" Harry pouted at her, which made Anna laugh and wipe away the rest of her tears. Somehow Harry always managed to make her feel better within minutes. It was a special gift that he had. Maybe it was due to the fact that they were twins.
"Everything's gonna be okay..." Anna whispered, as though trying to reassure herself of this statement.
"Of course it is." Harry said encouragingly. "Things are going to work out, they always do in the end."
"I hope so." Anna muttered. "Because we seem to have the worst luck in the world."
"The Potter luck." Harry teased. "Or rather misfortune, depending on how you look at it."
"Yeah, become a Potter, and you'll either face a dark lord at the end of every school year or become a werewolf." Anna said in a dramatic tone, causing Harry to shake his head as he laughed.
"Forget Magizoology, you should become an actor."
"I think I'll pass." Anna giggled. "You know how I have stage fright. Remember our kindergarten play when I was the ladybug and I had only one line?"
Harry laughed at the memory. "You were so terrified that you just about fainted."
"And I haven't gone on stage ever since."
"Didn't you also puke on Piers Polkiss?"
"Honestly, it wouldn't surprise me if I did. That day is kind of just a blur now. Something that my traumatized brain has tried to block out."
Harry shook his head. "Seriously Anna. You're such a drama queen."
"I take serious offense at that. The only drama queen here is the ferret. That boy is a mythic bitch."
"I can't disagree with you on that." Harry said with a chuckle, then he turned serious. "Everything is going to work out, just try and remember that Anna."
"I will." She hugged him as Fred came in. Harry stood up. "I'll let you two be." He said with a wink before walking out, causing Anna to blush darkly as she looked at Fred. "Shouldn't you be in class?"
"Class is overrated." Fred said with a smirk as he sat next to her. "Plus, George and I pulled a prank on McGonagall, so I decided that I should probably hide for a little bit."
"What did you two- you know what?" Anna shook her head. "I don't even want to know."
"Besides..." Fred smirked at her. "I can think of something that I would much rather be doing than going to class."
Anna raised an eyebrow. "And what, pray tell, might that be?"
In response, Fred pulled Anna into his lap, pulling her into a kiss. Anna hummed in response as she wrapped her arms around his neck. While it wasn't what she had been expecting his answer to be, she definitely wasn't complaining. Fred's arms snaked around her waist, deepening the kiss for a moment before he moved to her neck, peppering it with kisses, sucking gently on the skin.
"Fred...." Anna moaned quietly as he laid her down. "Someone could come in."
"So?" He mumbled against her skin as he kissed her lips once more. Almost right on cue, Ron came in.
"MY EYES!" He screeched before running back out.
"I told you." Anna giggled as Fred pouted. She gently pushed him away as she sat up, as Ron had kind of ruined the mood.
"Come on, we have to go to at least some classes today."
"But I don't want to!" Fred whined, and Anna rolled her eyes. "I'll make a deal with you. You go to your classes today, and you'll get more kisses tonight."
That sealed the deal for him. Fred was up like a shot, running out of the common room, causing Anna to giggle as she shook her head. Honestly.