Potter's Outburst

After Divination, you walked into Professor Umbridge's classroom. When they entered the Defense Against the Dark Arts classroomthey found Professor Umbridge already seated at the teacher's desk,wearing the fluffy pink cardigan of the night before and the black velvet bow on top of her head. You couldn't help but notice that she looked like a toad from this close up.
The class was quiet as it entered the room; Professor Umbridgewas, as yet, an unknown quantity and nobody knew yet how strict adisciplinarian she was likely to be. She waved you up to her desk. "Miss (y/n), I was sadden when I heard you got attacked by your uncle. I was one of the people who cleared you of all the charges. I'm sorry you were put into that situation, I look forward to teaching you this year."
"Thanks for your concern, but he only landed one good hit on me." You smiled. "I look forward to you teaching me this year, too."
"I'm also happy you use your power as a prefect responsibly. With you in power, no rule breaking shall go unpunished." She said.
"Thank you, I know I'll live up to your words." You smiled, taking your seat by Draco.
"Well, good afternoon!" she said when finally the whole class hadsat down.
A few people mumbled "Good afternoon," in reply.
"Tut, tut," said Professor Umbridge. "That won't do, now, will it? Ishould like you, please, to reply 'Good afternoon, Professor Umbridge.' One more time, please. Good afternoon, class!"
"Good afternoon, Professor Umbridge," they chanted back at her.
"There, now," said Professor Umbridge sweetly. "That wasn't toodifficult, was it? Wands away and quills out, please."Many of the class exchanged gloomy looks; the order "wands away"had never yet been followed by a lesson they had found interesting. You placed your wand back inside your holster and pulled out quill, ink,and parchment. Professor Umbridge opened her handbag, extractedher own wand, which was an unusually short one, and tapped theblackboard sharply with it; words appeared on the board at once: "Defense Against the Dark ArtsA Return to Basic Principles."
"Well now, your teaching in this subject has been rather disruptedand fragmented, hasn't it?" stated Professor Umbridge, turning to facethe class with her hands clasped neatly in front of her. "The constantchanging of teachers, many of whom do not seem to have followedany Ministry-approved curriculum, has unfortunately resulted inyour being far below the standard we would expect to see in yourO.W.L. year.
"You will be pleased to know, however, that these problems are nowto be rectified. We will be following a carefully structured, theory centered, Ministry-approved course of defensive magic this year.Copy down the following, please."She rapped the blackboard again; the first message vanished andwas replaced by: "Course aims:1.Understanding the principles underlying defensive magic.2.Learning to recognize situations in which defensive magiccan legally be used.3.Placing the use of defensive magic in a context forpractical use."
For a couple of minutes the room was full of the sound of scratching quills on parchment. When everyone had copied down ProfessorUmbridge's three course aims she said, "Has everybody got a copy ofDefensive Magical Theory by Wilbert Slinkhard?"There was a dull murmur of assent throughout the class."I think we'll try that again," said Professor Umbridge. "When Iask you a question, I should like you to reply 'Yes, Professor Umbridge,' or 'No, Professor Umbridge.' So, has everyone got a copy ofDefensive Magical Theory by Wilbert Slinkhard?"
"Yes, Professor Umbridge," rang through the room.
"Good," said Professor Umbridge. "I should like you to turn topage five and read chapter one, 'Basics for Beginners.' There will beno need to talk."Professor Umbridge left the blackboard and settled herself in thechair behind the teacher's desk. You turned to page five of your copy of Defensive MagicalTheory and started to read.
It was desperately dull, quite as bad as listening to Professor Binns. You felt your concentration sliding away from you; you had soon read thesame line half a dozen times without taking in more than the first fewwords. Several silent minutes passed. You noticed Hermione had not even opened her book, 'Oh no.' You thought.
After half the class period was gone, and everyone was looking Hermione, Umbridge noticed. "Did you want to ask something about the chapter, dear?" sheasked Hermione.
"Not about the chapter, no," said Hermione.
"Well, we're reading just now," said Professor Umbridge, showingher small, pointed teeth. "If you have other queries we can deal withthem at the end of class."
"I've got a query about your course aims," said Hermione.Professor Umbridge raised her eyebrows.
"And your name is — ?"
"Hermione Granger," said Hermione.
"Well, Miss Granger, I think the course aims are perfectly clear ifyou read them through carefully," said Professor Umbridge in a voiceof determined sweetness.
"Well, I don't," said Hermione bluntly. "There's nothing writtenup there about using defensive spells." You started to get nervous, Hermione would never do something like this.
There was a short silence in which many members of the classturned their heads to frown at the three course aims still written onthe blackboard."Using defensive spells?" Professor Umbridge repeated with a littlelaugh. "Why, I can't imagine any situation arising in my classroomthat would require you to use a defensive spell, Miss Granger. Yousurely aren't expecting to be attacked during class?"
"We're not going to use magic?" Ron ejaculated loudly.
"Students raise their hands when they wish to speak in my class,Mr. — ?"
"Weasley," said Ron, thrusting his hand into the air.Professor Umbridge, smiling still more widely, turned her back onhim. Harry and Hermione immediately raised their hands too.
"Yes, Miss Granger? You wanted to ask something else?"
"Yes," said Hermione. "Surely the whole point of Defense Againstthe Dark Arts is to practice defensive spells?"
"Are you a Ministry-trained educational expert, Miss Granger?"asked Professor Umbridge in her falsely sweet voice.
"No, but —"
"Well then, I'm afraid you are not qualified to decide what the'whole point' of any class is. Wizards much older and cleverer thanyou have devised our new program of study. You will be learningabout defensive spells in a secure, risk-free way —"
"What use is that?" said Harry loudly. "If we're going to be attackedit won't be in a —"
"Hand, Mr. Potter!" sang Professor Umbridge.Harry thrust his fist in the air. Professor Umbridge promptlyturned away from him again, but now several other people had theirhands up too.
"And your name is?" Professor Umbridge said to Dean.
"Dean Thomas."
"Well, Mr. Thomas?"
"Well, it's like Harry said, isn't it?" said Dean. "If we're going to beattacked, it won't be risk-free —"
"I repeat," said Professor Umbridge, smiling in a very irritatingfashion at Dean, "do you expect to be attacked during my classes?"
"No, but —"Professor Umbridge talked over him."I do not wish to criticize the way things have been run in thisschool," she said, an unconvincing smile stretching her wide mouth,"but you have been exposed to some very irresponsible wizards in thisclass, very irresponsible indeed — not to mention," she gave a nastylittle laugh, "extremely dangerous half-breeds."
"If you mean Professor Lupin," piped up Dean Thomas angrily,"he was the best we ever —"
"Hand, Mr. Thomas! As I was saying — you have been introducedto spells that have been complex, inappropriate to your age group, andpotentially lethal. You have been frightened into believing that you arelikely to meet Dark attacks every other day." Umbridge did a little laugh. "Who do you think would attack children as yourself?"
"I don't know, how about Voldemort?" Harry exclaimed, you noticed he was very angry.
"Voldemort is not back, Mr. Potter." Umbridge said, matching his anger.
"Yes he is!" Harry yelled. "Do you think Cedric just dropped dead?!"
"Cedric Diggory's death was a tragic accident, Mr. Potter." Umbridge said, faking a sad voice.
"He was Murdered!" Harry yelled.
"Detention, Mr. Potter! After school, you will be at my office, for detention." Umbridge said, calming down. After that, the class was boring.