4. Almost kiss

Briar's POV

"Get ready quickly, dolly day dream." Ariana said ruffling my hair and Gretchen laughed.

I threw my hairclip at her and she ran out the door laughing.

"You'll come by yourself, right?" Gretchen said and I noticed everyone had already left.

"Yeah sure." I said smiling.

"Don't be late." Gretchen said tapping her wrist watch, walking out the door, closing it.

Another reason for us being best friends is because we're roommates. We shifted to the new dorms when we were promoted to high school. And us being six girls, we ended up getting one of the biggest rooms on our floor. Obviously, being together practically all the time, we are more like a family.

Suddenly while dressing up my mom's face came in my head. It's been months and I haven't met my mom and dad. Being a single child, I am pampered thoroughly. But the family legacy of sending your children to boarding school has been a part of the family traditions. So, I was admitted to the school by my parents. But originally belonging from Canada, I meet them once in a year during my vacation, when I get to go back to my home city, Vancouver.

When I was a kid, I used to cry a lot, always asking my parents not to leave. But as I grew up, I became used to living in this school. It's my second home now, though I miss my parents a lot. But I couldn't escape the tree of familial traditions keeping in mind how even my grandfather's father is a boarding school graduate

When I was born my dad wanted to continue this chain so he got me admitted into this boarding school and Culford Rempten senior secondary school, was one the best school to pick. It's reputation for its academics, sports, dance and music is famous enough for my dad putting me here. My mom wanted me to study in somewhere in Vancouver, but dad insisted for me to study here. He surely didn't make a bad decision.

My thoughts were suddenly interrupted when I heard the morning bell. It was almost a quarter past eight, the starting time for morning service. I quickly took my badge and pinning it to my uniform, went to the door. I took my hand forward to open the door and it jammed. Again.

From past ten days this door has been troubling us. I've put so many complaints and requests to get it fixed but no one came. I tried very hard trying to pull it. I saw the clock again. Time was running fast like bolt, today.

Fuck! I can't be late.

Pulling the door with all my strength but the lock was stubbornly fixated in one position. Only one option was left. Scream. Call out for someone, if available. So, I did it.

"EXCUSE ME! HELP! IS ANYONE THERE?" I shouted, banging on the door.

"PLEASE HELP ME!" I shouted again.

I screamed while constantly trying to open the door, praying simultaneously maybe some fairy will whack their magic wand and this gate will open. I had almost lost hope but after a few seconds I heard footsteps. I shouted again and I could sense the footsteps getting clearer and faster.

"Who's there?" The man outside asked.

It must be a teacher. Oh! My lifesaver.

"Yes, sir. This door is stuck and it's not opening." I said in panic.

"Wait I'll try." He said and I could sense the pressure on the door.

We both were trying hard for the door open, one pulling from inside and other pushing from outside. My palms were almost red applying so much force on the door handle. But I could feel the door jerking a bit, I knew it would open soon enough. But we both didn't really look at the consequences and foolishly put the pressure in the same direction.