5. Library

Briar's POV

The day was amazing, as the first five periods none of the teachers took classes, because of some meeting they had to attend. Not soon after it was almost time to return to the dorms. Our school gets over at three o'clock in the afternoon and according to the rules we have to get to our dorms by six in the evening. We get a three-hour time lapse, to attend extra classes or roam around the campus.

Sometimes we get some extra work like cleaning the classrooms or extra lessons by teachers who are behind in completing the syllabus. Though, I usually spend my time reading books, in the garden area or corridor corners. I was reading Jane Eyre by Charlotte Bronte, not the first time with this masterpiece, but my admiration never fades away.

Jane undeniably is one of the most amazing characters I have encountered in a book. Her perseverance in the face of adversity, her strong personality and wisdom always leaves me awe. There was something about her that I felt deeply connected with, a major reason I always turn back to this book when my life tides seem to get violent.

Because my book issuing date was near and I had already read the book, I decided to go to the library and get a new one. My reading habit dates back when I was little. Though, my fondness with inked pages is perpetual, I have become more talkative. In fact, the pile of my words can be categorised as rambling.

Well, I loved reading newspapers, inspirational books, classics and most importantly, novels. Love stories are a key to my heart and a fuel to my imagination. I was teased by the name 'reading maniac' because I could literally read anything. All I need is a piece of writing. Though this habit is considered 'boring' by my friends, but I like it so, I do it and I have no regrets or problem in being called a 'boring person'.

We all went to our dorms and I quickly changed into my white oversized t-shirt, with black acid wash denim shorts. I usually, take a shower first before changing but I was eager to get another book from the library, I decided to delay my bath. It was a quarter to four and knowing the library closes at five in the evening, I still had time. After changing I came out and saw everyone already diving in their beds. Though I knew the answer but just to complete the formality I shouted.

"Anyone interested in going to the library with me?"

"No!" everyone said in unison; I rolled my eyes at them.

"I'll come. I've to return this book" Rosé said with a book in her hand. I turned around with a smiling face, letting out a hand which she clasped as we walked out the door.

The library isn't very far from our dorm and given the soothing ambience it's always a treat to our eyes. With the trees swaying like couples dancing at a ball, the unnoticeable fragrance brought to us by the zephyr, it is always a delight. We entered and some other students were there as well.

"I'll return it to the attendant till then, you search for your book." Rosé said, pointing to the shelves near the far-right wall.

"Yeah, I will. But don't leave without me." I said and she nodded smiling.

Then I started my search for a good book to read. It's been almost a month I haven't read a book. Because of the unit tests I wasn't able to get a book. But now I can; I thought to myself. walking beside the tall old wooden racks with a board that spelt 'English Fiction' looking for a book made me freeze in front of one of my favourite books.

Me Before You by JoJo Moyes.

I still remember bringing my laptop inside the school premises, which is prohibited without prior permission. Only to watch the movie, based on this book, which was recently released because I simply couldn't contain my composure. Though I almost got caught, I fell in love with Sam Claflin.

Oh, he has the most charming smile.

All the books I came across were the ones I've read already; I was searching for a new one. Roaming my eyes all around the pile of books, I went deeper and deeper into the sections searching for a good one, not realizing I went into the 'old book shelf' room where no one is allowed to go.

The piles got bigger and the room appeared even smaller, as if a single jerk on any of them and you would become the prey of this mountain of books. The dim lights, congested setting surely made me envisage the reason for students to not enter the room.

Nonetheless, it didn't stop my curiosity to explore this cramped obscure arcade. Consumed in looking for a book, I didn't even notice that it was almost time for the library to close. I saw so many weird books. I soon realized they we mostly all related to philosophy and others were our old school magazines and student write ups. Every book fascinated me, just like they always do. But none of them were the ones I wanted to read in that moment.

I just stepped out the small room when I stumbled on a book. I picked it up and read the name 'The Girl He Used to Know' by Tracey Garvis Graves. It was a book from the romantic genre.

"What is it doing here?" I said to myself.

"Alright then." I said as I decided to take that book and came out.

The place seemed peculiarly reticent and my intuition alarm sending the ticklish sensation in my belly. I didn't get a good feeling as I walked out. The striking feature was the fact that the central chandelier of the book room was turned off, which only happens when the library closes. My eyes widened with a faint hope of nothing wrong happening.

I came out and seeing all the lights off, I spurted across the massive area. A stream of cold sweat escaped my scalp and my fear of being alone in huge spaces rose, it rose my anxiety to death. I ran to the door trying to open it but it was locked. Adrenaline rushed all through my body and goosebumps uninvited evaded my entire body.

What if I'm locked here for the entire night? What if there's a ghost here?

I gulped hard not leaving the huge window adjacent, which was the only source of minimalist light coming inside through the tall garden lamp. The deep silence that went all through the library enhanced every movement, I could sense the unbalanced pattern of my breath, shaking. Shivers dashed all over my body every other second and my heartbeat was abstinent with the hope of someone coming to open this door.

I shouted with tears slightly forming in my eyes, "HELP!"

I wouldn't have felt vulnerable if I had a trusted source that would come to my rescue, but I knew it was useless because our library is located near the office, almost separated from the main school building. Because the main campus ground would still be brimming with a cluster of students. But here; nobody.

I banged on the door looking behind simultaneously, from time to time, feeling as if some entity is standing behind me. I was scared (an understatement), alone in this huge library that is almost getting darker. The daylight was almost hidden and the dark sky was coming in my vision clearer, enhancing the garden lamp bulb to capture all the fire around it.

All my emotions were dominated by fear. Fear of being alone. Fear of possibly staying in the library all night. Fear of being scolded by the warden for coming late. I felt like crying.

Why did everyone leave me here? Didn't they know I'm still inside?

I looked through the window to see if anyone is there but I didn't even see a single soul, when a tear unavoidably escaped my eye.

See you soon.

Vote and comment.

:)