34. Stop Zoning Out

Gareth's POV
I was unable to have a peaceful sleep at night. My mind was preoccupied with the thought of Briar and her wish to go to Walker Art Gallery.

Are they planning to sneak out from there tomorrow? It can be a possibility. Or maybe they're going to meet their boyfriends? Are they even dating? Maybe?

A more important question was, is Briar dating or did they force her to come to me, because she's my favorite? Wait, has Briar told her friends about me?

I don't think Briar has told them about us, otherwise they would've got much freer with me.

Wouldn't it be so weird?

Y-yeah.

But there were many scenarios and possibilities to every turn, I gave to this situation. Though I still couldn't stick to any one of them because I had no idea what these girls were planning.

The doorbell rang and I shook my head coming back to reality. I went to the door and saw Mrs. Jones standing there.

"Good morning Mr. Wilson" she greeted me with her usual cheerful smile.

"Good morning ma'am" I said.

"Are you okay?" she asked.

I got shocked at her sudden question.

"W-what? I'm all good ma'am. All fine" I said in an assuring tone.

She chuckled a bit and said "Then why aren't you picking up your phone?"

"My phone?" I said as I tried searching it in my pockets and then quickly looked around. It was on the table.

I picked it up and saw eight missed calls from the teachers. I shook my head and turned towards Mrs. Jones.

"Uh... ma'am, I never noticed my phone was on silent. I apologize" I said bowing.

"It's okay! you don't have to apologize. But we should get going now, it's getting late" Mrs. Jones said. I nodded, following her.

We soon reached downstairs and all the students were having breakfast in the hotel's restaurant. We walked through the bustle and soon reached the table. I was greeted by the teachers and some students, sitting nearby.

"Good morning" I said with a smile, bowing simultaneously.

I sat down but my eyes searched the most desired face. A face I want to cherish all my life but can't.

Briar.

I didn't find her but the people around me, called out for my lost mind.

"So, uh, Mr. Wilson, why was there a sudden change in the schedule?" Mrs. Adrienne asked.

I couldn't answer, not because I didn't want to but, I myself was trying to find the answer to this question.

"I..uhmm" I was out of words. I didn't know what to say.

"Sir, didn't you say that your friend is here?" Mr. Fuller asked.

"Y-yeah. Actually he has to attend a meeting here. He asked me if I could join him later. But I can't leave the children as well, that's why I thought..." I said making up a false story, though the character, my friend, was real, alive and present.

"No problem at all sir! In fact I think it was considerate of you, that you prioritized the students" Mr. Fuller said.

"We know, you are new to this field. Also you came here just to support your mother. I think you are doing a great job!" Mrs. Jones said with a smile.